Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enable Apple Carplay NOT available

CameronR

Reaction score
I have a 2022 with 8.4 uconnect. The wife's iPhone 11 was paired and Carplay working. Seemingly at random the device fails to connect to Carplay. If I go to uconnect device manager, when this happens, "enable Apple Carplay" is not even an option! I need to reboot the uconnect system for this option to reappear, select it, and then pair. This song and dance is getting old. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Cameron

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I have a 2022 with 8.4 uconnect. The wife's iPhone 11 was paired and Carplay working. Seemingly at random the device fails to connect to Carplay. If I go to uconnect device manager, when this happens, "enable Apple Carplay" is not even an option! I need to reboot the uconnect system for this option to reappear, select it, and then pair. This song and dance is getting old. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Cameron

Hi CameronR,

Sorry to hear this is happening! Have you tried a reset by holding the power button/knob for up to 10 seconds? If you still need help with this, our team is available via PM to check for any resources to address this for you.

Steph
Ram Cares

RubiRam392

Jackass 4th grade bully
Reaction score

Thanks,
Cameron

Mine is starting to act up as well. Just over the past 2 days I’ve had to go into settings and restart the radio, forget/delete phones and re-add them several times. Happened again on the way home from work only this time completely fails to connect. It recognizes the phone, will not connect. It’s been quite frustrating to say the least. 22 Power Wagon 8.4 w/nav

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Mine is starting to act up as well. Just over the past 2 days I’ve had to go into settings and restart the radio, forget/delete phones and re-add them several times. Happened again on the way home from work only this time completely fails to connect. It recognizes the phone, will not connect. It’s been quite frustrating to say the least. 22 Power Wagon 8.4 w/nav
Hi RubiRam392,

I'm sorry you're encountering this as well. Is your iPhone running iOS 16.5? If not, we recommend updating to that version as Apple confirms iOS 16.5 addresses connectivity concerns.

Steph
Ram Cares

RubiRam392

Jackass 4th grade bully
Reaction score
Hi RubiRam392,

I'm sorry you're encountering this as well. Is your iPhone running iOS 16.5? If not, we recommend updating to that version as Apple confirms iOS 16.5 addresses connectivity concerns.

Steph
Ram Cares
Yes I actually updated it last night to the 16.6 just to make sure it was completely up to date. I checked and there are no over the air updates for the 8.4 UC5 either. I have not been able to reconnect since yesterday at this time.

pizzatots

Reaction score
This has happened occasionally to me as well. Restarting the radio with the 10 second power button trick generally resolves it.

RubiRam392

Jackass 4th grade bully
Reaction score
The other odd thing I recall doing once was using the steering wheel button to activate Siri. That did something to get it going.
I just tried that and it kept saying “phone not connected, try again in a few minutes”

RubiRam392

Jackass 4th grade bully
Reaction score
I’ve noticed through trial and error that when I disconnect the VPN on my phone I have a higher chance of connecting to the UC5. I’ve used the same VPN for the entire time I’ve owned the truck. Not sure why now that would hinder the connection. It still won’t connect 50% of the time but I do get it to connect the other half. My wife’s phone does not have VPN and hers only will connect half the time as well

jsalbre

Reaction score
I can't say for certain it's the reason, but wireless CarPlay uses the wifi and is IP based. Perhaps when you're connected to VPN it's causing an issue for the traffic that should be going to the headunit.

Users who are viewing this thread