Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downside of using the 2" to 2.5" sleeve?

RiverRunner

Reaction score
I pull a 11,500 pound fully loaded toy hauler. Just picked up my 2024 3500 to replace my 2008 2500. New truck has 2.5" receiver, old truck has 2". I use an equalizer hitch WD hitch and am very satisfied, but it has a 2" stinger.

There are folks with much more towing experience on here than me. I look at the sleeve setup and it troubles me. Simpler is usually better. What is the skinny on the sleeve pulling a trailer of the weight I pull? Would you buy new 2.5" hitch components or run a sleeve?

Dave01

Reaction score
I don't pull as heavy as you, tow 8,000 lbs. fairly often and a variety of trailers. As everything I have is 2" I use the sleeve all the time. I see no problem with it, the piece itself certainly isn't a weak point, and the hitch pin is the same one you'd use without the sleeve so that shouldn't be an issue either. I had wondered if I'd have any rattle with the sleeve but haven't noticed any.

I think there's not much question that 2.5" components are going to be beefier with higher capacity, but if your 2" ones are rated correctly I see no problem.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There is 0 issues with running the sleeve. It would only be personal preference for you to do away with the sleeve. I made a set of rock tamers that doubles as my sleeve as then i can run the rock tamers without a hitch in

Attachments

• IMG_6645.jpeg
    IMG_6645.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6658.jpeg
    IMG_6658.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 49

woody284

Reaction score
Just a side note as I was like you and was new to the sleeve. If you remove you hitch don’t forget to repin the sleeve or remove it. When I first got this Ram I took the hitch out and forgot about the sleeve. I was driving down the road and noticed something bouncing down the road behind be. I turned around and it was the sleeve/ insert. Luckily I noticed and luckily no one was behind me.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I've towed heavier than that with a sleeve. The only problem I've had with them is getting all the holes lined up to put the pin in when installing my hitch. The pin fit so tight in the hitch with a sleeve on one truck that I had to tap the pin in. Going through 3 sets of holes with all the tolerance stack up can be a problem. Other than that, no issues here.

wrvond

Reaction score
I pull a 11,500 pound fully loaded toy hauler. Just picked up my 2024 3500 to replace my 2008 2500. New truck has 2.5" receiver, old truck has 2". I use an equalizer hitch WD hitch and am very satisfied, but it has a 2" stinger.

There are folks with much more towing experience on here than me. I look at the sleeve setup and it troubles me. Simpler is usually better. What is the skinny on the sleeve pulling a trailer of the weight I pull? Would you buy new 2.5" hitch components or run a sleeve?

A receiver/reducer/shank setup is going to allow more motion of the hitch within the receiver which in turn can cause the pin holes of the receiver to become elongated. I've experienced this myself. I've also bent lesser pins with this set up. A 2.5" shank will fit better and a Bolt locking receiver pin resists bending better than any other pin I tried.

BOLT lock for your truck

Dave01

Reaction score
A receiver/reducer/shank setup is going to allow more motion of the hitch within the receiver which in turn can cause the pin holes of the receiver to become elongated. I've experienced this myself. I've also bent lesser pins with this set up. A 2.5" shank will fit better and a Bolt locking receiver pin resists bending better than any other pin I tried.

BOLT lock for your truck
Not sure why that pin would be any stronger than another quality stainless pin?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

BOLT lock for your truck
If you bent a pin you were doing something wrong i have pulled 16k with the sleeve problem free and with the sleeve you are working with shear forces not really a way to bend it

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed more slop and noise when running the sleeve so I try to avoid the sleeve.

I’ve upgraded my stow and go hitch to 2.5” and had a sleeve welded to the WDH for my hunting trailer. The only trailer I use regularly use a sleeve with is a smaller TT that also gets towed by a rig with a 2” receiver so it’s not feasible to make it a 2.5” shank permanently.

Bottom line is that I would personally make a change to not need the sleeve.

dddoug

Reaction score
I tow a 11,000 lb TT with a 2 1/2 sleeve on my 2" WDH. Did have it welded after listening to noise from too much misfit of parts. Noise is about 75% better.

flan

Reaction score
I used to run the sleeve with my equalizer wdh but after doing the suspension/wheel upgrades to my 2500 I needed more of a drop shank so while I was at it, I upgraded to a 2 1/2”. Can’t say I notice much difference towing but driving around empty seems less clunky when hitting bumps.

Jmonty

Reaction score
Couple we camp with had truck issue on a trip, was able to get it into a shop and rent a half ton to get the trailer and family home. Only reason I haven't upgraded is that 2" WDH shank I have can work in a half ton and allow me to get my trailer home. Have almost 12K towing with no issues and no rattle that I can hear.

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
like flan I was in need of a new drop hitch so went with the 2-1/2” shank. I did make some sheet metal shims that go between the shank and the sleeve top and bottom. Took about 90% of the play out of the hitch. So far haven’t seen any noticeable wear on the shims.

Truckman

Reaction score
I used the sleeve for 7 years on my old truck. never had any problems, nor have I heard about any problems from others. With this truck I needed a longer drop on the shank so I bought one that was 2 1/2 inch. I do like that I don't have to fight the sleeve when putting the ball mount on and off.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
like flan I was in need of a new drop hitch so went with the 2-1/2” shank. I did make some sheet metal shims that go between the shank and the sleeve top and bottom. Took about 90% of the play out of the hitch. So far haven’t seen any noticeable wear on the shims.
I use the sleeve with shims. Zero rattle or movement. Have pulled our TT probably 12K miles with 2 different trucks but the same setup with no issues. Can’t even tell the trailer is back there at times. I had thought about welding the sleeve to the drop down but after reading the post above about possibly needing it to fit a 2” receiver I’ll pass.

TexasGuy

Reaction score
No downside other than an extra thing to store; I have more slop from my forged receiver for weight distribution than from the adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread