Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Lube your Fuel Filter O Rings?

tyler2you

Reaction score
When I changed the fuel filters on my 2022 6.7l last week, I had a heck of a time getting the front filter installed without leaking. First attempt I had a pretty significant flow of fuel down the side of the housing around an inch wide. I pulled the cap off and checked the O ring which looked fine and reinstalled. Second time it still leaked, but significantly less. Third time everything finally sealed up properly. No issues with the rear filter.

I'm assuming the problem was a pinched O ring and was wondering if anyone uses any kind of lubricant on the rings to keep them in place as you tighten the cap? There was a lot of squeaking and binding as the cap got to the end of its rotation. Maybe a light coat of silicone grease?

flan

Reaction score
I use a small amount of clean motor oil all the way around before installing it on the cap. This helps ensure total coverage and reduces friction between the cap and oring, which helps it un-twist itself once it arrives in its final position.

ppine

Reaction score
Yes. Use diesel fuel to lubricate the O rings. I replaced Ford fuel filters with a beveled ring for 20 years with no issues.

tyler2you

Reaction score
Yeah, figured I had enough fuel on the cap to lube with all the mess I made getting the front filter out, but apparently not. Lesson learned on the front--keep the drain open until you're done removing the cap. I made the mistake of closing it up and there was A LOT of fuel left in the housing that made its way all over the axle and my floor when the cap came off.

Aketay

Reaction score
Liberal coating of wheel bearing grease and hand tighten.

GBB

Reaction score
I use grease on “O” ring and on the threads.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I always keep a few tubes of this on hand for O-Rings. 1 set for all my water filtration stuff being that it is food grade and another for everything else like my fuel filter O-Rings or other O-Rings on equipment, etc.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I always keep a few tubes of this on hand for O-Rings. 1 set for all my water filtration stuff being that it is food grade and another for everything else like my fuel filter O-Rings or other O-Rings on equipment, etc.

I keep some on hand too, mostly for repairing electronics equip like CD transport slides and gears, etc., but it's also good for gun stuff that needs grease (slides, etc.) Unaffected by temps and doesn't gum up with age.

I expect the o-rings are made of Viton (FKM), but just be aware Super Lube is incompatible with Silicone Rubber (FMQ, PMQ, MQ, VMFQ, VMQ).

An alternative I also keep around and use for all the water/food stuff is Haynes Lubri-film Plus. Seems more inert than SuperLube but I can't find any compatibility chart. This also keeps them separated for use.

That said, diesel fuel on the o-rings is what I do.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I keep some on hand too, mostly for repairing electronics equip like CD transport slides and gears, etc., but it's also good for gun stuff that needs grease (slides, etc.) Unaffected by temps and doesn't gum up with age.

I expect the o-rings are made of Viton (FKM), but just be aware Super Lube is incompatible with Silicone Rubber (FMQ, PMQ, MQ, VMFQ, VMQ).

An alternative I also keep around and use for all the water/food stuff is Haynes Lubri-film Plus. Seems more inert than SuperLube but I can't find any compatibility chart. This also keeps them separated for use.

That said, diesel fuel on the o-rings is what I do.
You know I've never once thought to put super lube on a slide. I usually just drench everything in EWL or I'll coat a BCG in RL CV2 grease if its gonna be creating some brass rainbows that day lol.

tyler2you

Reaction score
You know I've never once thought to put super lube on a slide. I usually just drench everything in EWL or I'll coat a BCG in RL CV2 grease if its gonna be creating some brass rainbows that day lol.
I like it on carry guns. It stays put pretty well unlike TW25B or oil which tend to disappear after a few weeks of hot weather carry.

Users who are viewing this thread