Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do the OBD2 IBS3 parameters add battery current and charge PIDs of both batteries together?

DaveC

Reaction score
I'm looking to closely monitor my 2019 Cummins batteries using my Obdlink MX scanner. Im looking at "state of health" and "residual charge" from the body control module menu. The results are in Amp hours. The batteries are in parallel, does the scanner add the currents together or are there 2 different PIDs used, one for each battery? My numbers are anemic, 64Ah capacity (health) and mid 30'sAh residual charge, or how much is left after cranking. Fwiw, engine cranks at over 1100 amps! So that is definitely both batteries added together! Crank voltage is high 6's with grid hearer start, 7's with warm start. Tested both batteries at an autozone, said okay! Lifted one negative lead to isolate and test the 2 batteries. Batteries are original.

Thanks!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Your batteries are bad if they drop that far under load, that’s also why the amp are so high while cranking. The starter is a 700A unit at the proper voltage.

The IBS is only on the drivers side battery so the truck monitors the batteries at a single unit.

DaveC

Reaction score
Thanks! Darn, I'll get some new batteries then and stop abusing the starter monitor. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread