Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dies at idle once warmed up

Shyfox

Reaction score
My 97 B3500 maxivan camper/fishing van with a 5.2 with only 70,000 miles just started dying at idle once it gets warmed up, but idles and runs like a champ cold. It runs with my foot always on the gas around town or on the highway. I take my foot off the gas to stop and the engine just dies. I can drive it with both feet, gas with the right foot and brake with my left foot. My fuel mileage is way off around town but seems ok out on the interstate at cruise speed. Before this problem it's been getting 18/18.5 mpg on the interstate and about 13 to 14 around town depending how many lights I must stop for.
It got a major service 3000 miles back, full tune with cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, PCV, oil change. Plus a full tranny service with filter, brake fluid change, PS fluid change,and rear axle oil change. I've replaced the TPS, the ICM, both 02 sensors, and the magnetic pick up in the distributor trying to find a fix but it still dies. I got a code after my work saying the forward 02 sensor but it's Bosch so it's not cheap crap and they are new front and rear. I guess I should say the former owner removed the cat. I discovered that replacing the 02 sensors. The van ran great before the dying problem.
Dying at idle seems to be a fairly common problem on the forums and I've replaced all the parts the people on the forums say fixed their dying problem. Some say the computer but the engine does just fine out on the highway and with my foot on the gas just not once warmed up driving around town in stop and go traffic. Anyone out there found the real fix to this common Dodge dying problem?

Attachments

• clean van.jpe
    clean van.jpe
    236.2 KB · Views: 4

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
A bad brake booster can make your engine die when you’re stopped

also, a dodge forum would probably be a better place to ask this question.

Shyfox

Reaction score
A bad brake booster would be bad when the engine was cold and make it die. Engine runs great cold. My maxi van is an 8 lug one ton van.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Idle control valve on back of throttle body clean the port and the valve if problem persists change the idle control valve also check the battery them 318/360 magnums would do that with a weak battery.... usually cleaning the Idle control valve port in the throttle body does it get in there deep i usually use a small set of wire brushes for cleaning paint guns to get in there

Shyfox

Reaction score
I replaced the intake air control valve and nothing changed. I replaced the TPS and both 02 sensors still dies
Idle control valve on back of throttle body clean the port and the valve if problem persists change the idle control valve also check the battery them 318/360 magnums would do that with a weak battery.... usually cleaning the Idle control valve port in the throttle body does it get in there deep i usually use a small set of wire brushes for cleaning paint guns to get in there

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I replaced the intake air control valve and nothing changed. I replaced the TPS and both 02 sensors still dies
Did you clean the port for the idle control valve? The tps and 02 wont be the issue and how is the battery?

Shyfox

Reaction score
Did you clean the port for the idle control valve? The tps and 02 wont be the issue and how is the battery?
I did shoot carb cleaner 2X into the port and then pushed in twisted paper towel and turned the paper towel round and round. I guess I can try cleaning the port better, but the old ICM worked in there and the end that fit into the port was dirty but not terrible. I saw ICMs being cleaned online and theirs were far worse than mine.
The batter is about 2 years old. It powers the windows just fine and the starter turns well instantly and with no drag.

Shyfox

Reaction score
I am going to try unplugging the forward 02 sensor and force the ECM to use only the established parameters without the 02 signal

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I am going to try unplugging the forward 02 sensor and force the ECM to use only the established parameters without the 02 signal
If there is no cat look in to the 02 non fouler trick online

Shyfox

Reaction score
I unplugged the upstream 02 but no joy on the burn. If anything it ran worse once it warmed up. When it dyed it was much harder to restart. Maybe that was a one time event. I disconnected the battery and plugged the 02 back up, I'm not getting any codes saying anything is wrong but it's still dying. Every once in while it will idle when it's warm but it's rare. I'm going to reclean the ICM port and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread