Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Def sensor reads empty

yycdiesel

Reaction score
Tried using search function and only seen one example. My gauge was low and my truck sat outside in -15 for 2-3 days . Put 6 gallons in it and the gauge is still reading zero.

I'm in the middle of no where and will hit limp mode before i make it to town.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas

MikeXM

Reaction score
EDIT: Wrong info.
If you did full it over the line, the sensor will not see it. 6 gal is way too much... It's a 5 gal tank?

There needs to be an air gap between the top of the tank where the sensor is located and the def. If not, it will not register it.
If you look on your fuel door, there is a sticker that shows this.

If you never want to have this problem, always fill a single 2.5gal jug when your level indicates 1/4. This will fill it to 3/4.

Last edited:

yycdiesel

Reaction score
If you did full it over the line, the sensor will not see it. 6 gal is way too much... It's a 5 gal tank?

There needs to be an air gap between the top of the tank where the sensor is located and the def. If not, it will not register it.
If you look on your fuel door, there is a sticker that shows this.

If you never want to have this problem, always fill a single 2.5gal jug when your level indicates 1/4. This will fill it to 3/4.

I did over fill it but I don't believe this is the issue as I put 3 gallons in roughly 200 miles ago and the gauge never adjusted. So I thought maybe if I filled it after restarting the truck it would help but nothing did. I can remove some from the tank but I think its the sensor.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I did over fill it but I don't believe this is the issue as I put 3 gallons in roughly 200 miles ago and the gauge never adjusted. So I thought maybe if I filled it after restarting the truck it would help but nothing did. I can remove some from the tank but I think its the sensor.
Edit: Wrong info:
Like I said, if you over fill it, it will not work. First thing to do is make sure you are under the line.
If you are, then yeah, it is another problem.

Last edited:

MikeXM

Reaction score
One other thing to consider:

The DEF gauge may also not immediately
update after a refill if the temperature of the
DEF fluid is below 39°F (4°C). The DEF tank
heater will warm up the DEF fluid and allow
the gauge to update after a period of run
time. Under very cold conditions, it is possible
that the gauge may not reflect the new fill
level for several drives.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
One other thing to consider:

The DEF gauge may also not immediately
update after a refill if the temperature of the
DEF fluid is below 39°F (4°C). The DEF tank
heater will warm up the DEF fluid and allow
the gauge to update after a period of run
time. Under very cold conditions, it is possible
that the gauge may not reflect the new fill
level for several drives.

I'm explaining poorly and I apologize.
I out 3 gallons in originally and drove for 2 days like that multiple drives and the gauge never adjusted but didn't seem to go down.

I just did this morning a 4 hour 360 km trip arrived in my location and then the def light went off so I was like maybe I drained the tank in my drive. Went to fill it realizing it was full didn't use the entire container and closed it off.

I was more or less hoping for a harness that I could've unplugged cleaned and hopefully pray that was the case but seems it's entire unit so dealership Monday it is.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Oh okay.

I have to take back what I said too. I went back and read about it again. I misunderstood the way the sensor works.

If you overfill it, it will still work. It's just that it will read full until the DEF lowers below the head of the sensor (installed from the bottom of tank). Then, when an air gap starts to surround the sensor, it will start moving the gauge. Anything above the head is just "full".

So yeah, looks like you have a problem.

yycdiesel

Reaction score
@MikeXM started today after our cold snap and def read full as I was heading to nearest dealership.

Booked it omorrow when I live hoping she stays full until then haha appreciate the help brother.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread