Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Battery after 15 months

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Searched to no avail for battery thread but cannot find.
2021 3500 Laramie 4x4 deliver March/April of '21, so around 17-18 months and 24,000 miles.
Dead battery Monday morning while camping 400 miles from home. Jump started and drove home without shutting truck off.
Soon as I got home, shut 'er off and would not restart.
Played phone tag all day with dealer, finally drove car to dealership service dept.
Was told to bring truck in, can take 3-6 hours to diagnose under warranty, kid behind counter seemed to not like his job or customers that much. I kept a pleasant demeanor the whole time.
I figure they make the process inconvenient hoping you might not pursue the warranty path.
I decided to just change the battery myself and ordered a battery for pickup tomorrow.
I am now second guessing my decision. What if there are more problems down the line, or if it's something more than just a dead battery, and if I do it myself, all claims after might be void?

Opinions? Advice from experience anyone?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Searched to no avail for battery thread but cannot find.
2021 3500 Laramie 4x4 deliver March/April of '21, so around 17-18 months and 24,000 miles.
Dead battery Monday morning while camping 400 miles from home. Jump started and drove home without shutting truck off.
Soon as I got home, shut 'er off and would not restart.
Played phone tag all day with dealer, finally drove car to dealership service dept.
Was told to bring truck in, can take 3-6 hours to diagnose under warranty, kid behind counter seemed to not like his job or customers that much. I kept a pleasant demeanor the whole time.
I figure they make the process inconvenient hoping you might not pursue the warranty path.
I decided to just change the battery myself and ordered a battery for pickup tomorrow.
I am now second guessing my decision. What if there are more problems down the line, or if it's something more than just a dead battery, and if I do it myself, all claims after might be void?

Opinions? Advice from experience anyone?
Well they cant deny you warranty for anything other than the battery you put in providing its the proper battery for the truck not a oversized/ undersized battery(group #) or something silly like that

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
That timing fits pretty well with when mine died. Once I took the battery to the auto parts house and had them confirm through a test that it was dead, I looked for an appointment at the dealer and they were about a week out at that time. I couldn't wait that long, so went to Costco and bought a new one. 3 year warranty on it and no need for an appointment if I ever have to cash in on that warranty.

Jeff1759

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be buying and installing my own. Don't like sitting around a dealership all day.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would put your new batt in but dont bring the core in. Then when you have a chance drop the old batt in and let the dealer replace it. I dont know about you but i can always use a free battery replacement i have lots of batteries on the go.

2 in the 19, 2 in the 01, 1 in the ol ladies car, 2 in the boat, 1 in the dump trailer, 1 for the flat deck winch, 2 6volts in the camper… one can never have enough new batteries lol

Last edited:

Sponge60

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be buying and installing my own. Don't like sitting around a dealership all day.
At the very least, let the parts store you use test the original battery before you buy one. They'll do it for free usually.

Users who are viewing this thread