Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Speaker Upgrade

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
After a couple of weeks with these I figured I would post an update. I noticed on some songs the tweeters were distorting ever so slightly at high volume, very light popping sound.

I decided to install some bass blockers to solve this. Crutchfield recommended the 150hz blockers but after some research I decided on the 300hz. The 300hz still allow all of the mids and highs but they block all of the low bass. These were plug and play an easy to install.

Additionally, I ordered another pair of speakers to swap out the center dash speaker. The sound is perfect and I can go as loud as I want with no distortion at all. Changing the center channel made a noticeable difference and I could not be happier.

All in with the bass blockers I have around 120 invested and the difference in sound is amazing.

If anyone is interested I will sell my extra 3.5 kicker, metra adapter, and 300 hz bass blocker.
Which center speaker from Crutchfield did you end up going with?

Riddick

Reaction score

BighornHDRam

Reaction score

gimmie11s

Reaction score
After a couple of weeks with these I figured I would post an update. I noticed on some songs the tweeters were distorting ever so slightly at high volume, very light popping sound.

I decided to install some bass blockers to solve this. Crutchfield recommended the 150hz blockers but after some research I decided on the 300hz. The 300hz still allow all of the mids and highs but they block all of the low bass. These were plug and play an easy to install.

Additionally, I ordered another pair of speakers to swap out the center dash speaker. The sound is perfect and I can go as loud as I want with no distortion at all. Changing the center channel made a noticeable difference and I could not be happier.

All in with the bass blockers I have around 120 invested and the difference in sound is amazing.

If anyone is interested I will sell my extra 3.5 kicker, metra adapter, and 300 hz bass blocker.

Any plans to replace door speakers or is the difference big enough with swapping the 3 speakers in the dash that you are now satisfied?

Im going to start collecting parts to make this swap.

Riddick

Reaction score
Any plans to replace door speakers or is the difference big enough with swapping the 3 speakers in the dash that you are now satisfied?

Im going to start collecting parts to make this swap.

I will be leaving the rest of the system as is, I feel I have a great balance now. The three dash speakers made a noticeable difference and by adding the bass blockers they are crystal clear. The stock Alpine system always had the right amount of bass it was the mids/highs that needed improvement. If I were to sit in the back it may sound a little flat since basically all of my highs are coming from the dash. However, i will never be back there and from the drivers seat I have the perfect balance between bass and treble.

When you are piecing together your sytem keep in mind better speakers do not always mean better sound. For example if you place some high dollar componets in your doors/dash they are goign to overpower everything and all you will hear is the highs. If you plan on replacing everything thats all fine and dandy but you ahve to remember all of your speakers compliment each other when played. For this the cheap Kicker DS series were a great fit for me, sure there are better options but these compliment the rest of the system.

SVT POWER!!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I will be leaving the rest of the system as is, I feel I have a great balance now. The three dash speakers made a noticeable difference and by adding the bass blockers they are crystal clear. The stock Alpine system always had the right amount of bass it was the mids/highs that needed improvement. If I were to sit in the back it may sound a little flat since basically all of my highs are coming from the dash. However, i will never be back there and from the drivers seat I have the perfect balance between bass and treble.

When you are piecing together your sytem keep in mind better speakers do not always mean better sound. For example if you place some high dollar componets in your doors/dash they are goign to overpower everything and all you will hear is the highs. If you plan on replacing everything thats all fine and dandy but you ahve to remember all of your speakers compliment each other when played. For this the cheap Kicker DS series were a great fit for me, sure there are better options but these compliment the rest of the system.

SVT POWER!!

That's awesome. I just ordered 2 pairs of those Kicker DS 3.5's and the bass blockers from Crutchfield.

Good lookin out.. I'm excited to get these mids/highs fixed!

lol on SVT... my home away from home.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
I am going to replace all of my speakers with 4ohm speakers, except the sub of course, wanting tighter bass and better definition and Soundstage. Just for grins I checked the service manual for testing speakers, it said if they are between 3 and 5 ohms they are good, that's why I'm going with 4ohm speakers, the headliner takes 2 1/2 tweeters. 2022 BH with the 12 inch and Alpine system.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
I put NVX speakers in all 3 of my dash spots,WAY better and the sound great. I got ahold of some Polk Audio db351 speakers to try, I have had good luck with Polks in the past. They were a step backward, even though they were more efficient they took more volume to do anything and there is no definition in the highs, one really strange thing is the soundstage went from around my face with the NVX speakers to around my shoulders with the Polks, not good, so now I will have 5 Polks for sale. The NVX 3.5's I paid 35 for 4 brand new. I will switch the fronts when I put the Morels in my doors.

chas0218

Reaction score
Just to verify that all the Alpine dash speakers are 3.5" I'm looking at buying the Kicker KSC350. I want to replace the 2 side dash speakers and the center.
Kicker KSC350

Also I was thinking of replacing the stock sub with a Solo-Baric 8" shallow mount. Anyone have details on the stock sub like mounting depth and impedance?

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
All 3.5, sub is a 2 ohm dual voice coil. I would use NVX soft dome 3.5 speakers, a bit cheaper but sound better, especially the Soundstage, you need to take a bit out of the backside of the speaker grille but that's easy.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I found a set of the 3 factory HK dash speakers on ebay for $30 to replace the Alpines. Night and day difference. They're actually 2 way speakers unlike the paper cone Alpine's. Also plug and play. Cheap upgrade if you can find a set.

Reactions: CFE

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
I have 4 Polk Audio Db 3.5 speakers I don't need now, the NVX ones sound better to me with a silk soft dome

Reactions: CFE

Users who are viewing this thread