Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins no start in the COLD!

Northstarfire0693

Reaction score
That's correct. Unless, apparently, there's too much frozen DEF in the tank. I maintained the tank at about half full going into the winter and had no issues. There's been numerous occasions over the past three month where the DEF would've been frozen solid.
Thats no good. We have been seeing temps here in maine with a few lowa -12 and high of 17-40 depending on the day. I have a full tank in mine and so far no issues.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Thats no good. We have been seeing temps here in maine with a few lowa -12 and high of 17-40 depending on the day. I have a full tank in mine and so far no issues.
Depends on how full your full DEF tank is. The tanks have a lot of head space when the gauge reads full. If it's full according to the gauge, you should be fine. If the tank is filled past the point where the gauge registers full, you may have problems.

Northstarfire0693

Reaction score
Depends on how full your full DEF tank is. The tanks have a lot of head space when the gauge reads full. If it's full according to the gauge, you should be fine. If the tank is filled past the point where the gauge registers full, you may have problems.
I dont use box DEF. I hit the truck stop on my way to work and use the DEF pump. Once I get the first click when its full I stop there and dont try to top her off. Seems to work well that way. I heard its real easy to overfill using box DEF.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I dont use box DEF. I hit the truck stop on my way to work and use the DEF pump. Once I get the first click when its full I stop there and dont try to top her off. Seems to work well that way. I heard its real easy to overfill using box DEF.
Not if the gauge is working and you know how much DEF is in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread