Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crank pulley broke

ryan_lee

Reaction score
Hi my name is Ryan and I have a 2021 ram 5500 with 163,000 miles on it. The crank pulley just breaks off while I was driving. No signs of anything wrong with it. Dealership is saying after 3 months of sitting that the extended warranty company won't pay for it because they did the bolts failed. I find that hard to believe because they did the bolts were so in the holes and tight. They are wanting $30,000 to fix this. Does any one have any advice for me please? My business went under because of this and it's getting worse.

ryan_lee

Reaction score
Hi my name is Ryan and I have a 2021 ram 5500 with 163,000 miles on it. The crank pulley just breaks off while I was driving. No signs of anything wrong with it. Dealership is saying after 3 months of sitting that the extended warranty company won't pay for it because they did the bolts failed. I find that hard to believe because they did the bolts were so in the holes and tight. They are wanting $30,000 to fix this. Does any one have any advice for me please? My business went under because of this and it's getting worse.

Attachments

• 20230215_115919.jpg
    20230215_115919.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 36

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Did the crank snap off or just the bolts sheared? 30,000$ sounds like they want to put a new engine in it plus about 10 grand in labour?

ryan_lee

Reaction score
Sorry, when the crank broke, it hit the motor and put a hole in the block.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
well you need a new engine so you can either lawyer up and try to fight it or see if you can get a salvage engine and have it swapped in at a diesel shop instead of the dealer.

ryan_lee

Reaction score
Sounds like alot bs. So much for posting for the extended warranty.

flan

Reaction score
Sounds like alot bs. So much for posting for the extended warranty.
Sounds like if warranty won’t cover it I’d take it to an independent shop, a long block plus labor shouldn’t be so high. Depending how everything looks during disassembly you may get away with a short block and it would cost even less.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Dealership is saying after 3 months of sitting that the extended warranty company won't pay for it because they did the bolts failed. I find that hard to believe because they did the bolts were so in the holes and tight.
I’m sorry, I’m struggling to figure out what you’re saying here. I’m assuming some typos, but could you clarify?

Riddick

Reaction score
I’m sorry, I’m struggling to figure out what you’re saying here. I’m assuming some typos, but could you clarify?

Here is my interpretation:
Dealership is saying after 3 months of sitting that the extended warranty company won't pay for it because the bolts failed. I find that hard to believe because the bolts were still in the holes and tight.

From the sounds if it your crank broke resulting in your crank bolt snapping off. I cant see how shearing the pulley off would break the crank itself. Also, very disappointed to see the warranty will not cover the repair...... assuming truck is 100% stock. How long are the extended warranties good for mileage wise?

Users who are viewing this thread