Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Correct shocks for 3500 dually rear air auto leveling

kingdaddy

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for taking the time to do that...exactly what I would do if I were going to lift my truck a bit! I'm happy running the 255/80 17 tires on the stock Alcoas (which I like) so lifting is not really on my agenda. Plus my 5th wheel as currently setup sits quite level with good clearance at the bed of the truck etc. so I don't want to go "nose high" on the trailer when towing. I am installing the Bilstein dual steering stabilizer tomorrow and will likely go with the .50" Thuren front springs and 5100s. I don't feel that I really need the pricey adjustable track bar with only 1/2 lift, but still undecided about that...
Thanks again for all the advice and help... I will update at some point once I get this set up installed just to share what I've learned.
BTW... just noticing, are you at all concerned about using what seems to be a stock size tire as a spare? I managed to stuff a 255/80 tire in the spare location but it was tight! :)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
With a DRW you have 2 spares at all times! Haha

Good catch though. Short answer, no. I would run the smaller spare on the front in the case of a flat.

kingdaddy

Reaction score
I had a fairly long email conversation with a tech. rep. from Bilstein...very informative and helpful. He stated that they may very well expand their line of shocks to include pre 2019 rear air assist trucks, but for now, they have nothing specifically for those earlier trucks (like my '15).
According to him, the spring rates on the air assist and standard leaf spring trucks are different enough (not surprising) that they cannot recommend the same shock for both applications.
Could you do it anyway and get away with it? Yes, as long as the amount of compression and extension travel was adequate. This is in reference to STOCK suspension (i.e. NO lift at all).
Problem is that the internal valving and damping rate is tuned for specific vehicle and suspension parameters and could compromise the ride quality.
The shocks that gimmie is using I don't believe would work on pre '19s due to possible different mounting locations and different shock length required. Again, as per the Bilstein tech guy...
Anyway, I'm gonna play it "safe" and just go with brand new factory OEMs for the rear and the correct Bilstein 4600s for the front.
Good luck with whatever you go with...be interesting to see how it works for you! :)

BAT3500

Reaction score
I think i installed the same 5100 shocks from shock surplus as gimmie11s after one of my stock units blew out. No issues noted with the replacements. Appeared to be same length travel as stock and we have not noticed any changes good or bad in ride quality.

Users who are viewing this thread