Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper XLT AT3

Will_T

Reaction score
I never drove mine on stock tires so can't compare. They're less than 1/2" farther out than 275s. (Other 1/2" is inboard) The more aggressive tread may throw some more gravel but doubt that 1/2" makes much difference.
Thanks. So now the only question is dealing with the spare. I've read only a stock size spare fits up under the bed. So if you keep the OEM spare because you do not want a spare in the bed, then you have a spare that rotates 20 times more per mile than the 295s. Murphy might strike on a rear tire while in the boondocks of Nevada or Utah rather than in town, and then it could be 100+ miles before the tire shop. I have seen debate as to whether that is OK as long as you don't use 4X4, but even out of 4X4, these rear ends are not rotating freely and independently of each other all the time, are they? If the flat is on the rear, you could rotate a front tire back which is doable I guess in the event you do get a flat on the rear.

A year ago I would have thought flats were very rare as we have had probably only 2 or 3 in the last 20 years and all those were screws that caused slow leaks and did not even involve using the spare to get to the tire shop. But then in the last 8 months we have had 3 flats, two on the Subaru and one on another vehicle. Two of those meant tire replacement. One was a puncture up on the sidewall a bit, the other was a 2" plus piece or metal that went all the way into the tire. So I look at spares now as less like something that will probably never be needed and something that definitely will get used eventually.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So FWIW, some folks here have been able to fit a 35 and others have not... not all manufacturer tires are 35" exactly and not all trucks are exactly the same, there are always +/- tolerances which may allow you to fit a 35 in the spare location, some have mentioned airing down the tire to get it to fit, but then you'd need a compressor.... alternately the other comment was to move the spare to the front tire (if a rear was flat) to keep the rear diff happy and should not be an issue on the front so long as you keep out of 4x4..

Will_T

Reaction score
So FWIW, some folks here have been able to fit a 35 and others have not... not all manufacturer tires are 35" exactly and not all trucks are exactly the same, there are always +/- tolerances which may allow you to fit a 35 in the spare location
And more FWIW: The only 35" tire in 18 I see on Cooper's site says it is 34.96". The 295 XLT AT3 is stated as 34.25". The 18" Transforce HT is 33.2". If I am thinking it correctly, you would need 1/2" space all around to fit the AT3 in the same place. I just measured my space and with the spare touching the frame on driver side, there is 1/4" on the passenger heat shield side and 1/4" in the rear to the receiver. I am pretty positive nothing bigger than the OEM spare would fit, at least on my 3500 4X4.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
And more FWIW: The only 35" tire in 18 I see on Cooper's site says it is 34.96". The 295 XLT AT3 is stated as 34.25". The 18" Transforce HT is 33.2". If I am thinking it correctly, you would need 1/2" space all around to fit the AT3 in the same place. I just measured my space and with the spare touching the frame on driver side, there is 1/4" on the passenger heat shield side and 1/4" in the rear to the receiver. I am pretty positive nothing bigger than the OEM spare would fit, at least on my 3500 4X4.
I installed a 35x12.50R18 on my 2014 2500. I deflated the spare a little to get it to fit and smashed it into the heat shield a little but it fit. I have a 285/75R18 to use as a spare and on my 3500 I have at least an inch behind the factory spare. You'll fit a 295 there with enough patience.

Bigwalnuthoney

Reaction score
Might make a difference, but.... I recalibrated my speedo using 2733mm circumference of a 34.25" tire and now it reads about 3 mph fast at 60. So the coopers might be a little smaller than the advertised 34.25". Or my phone gps is wrong. Gonna recal a little smaller and see how it looks.

jadmt

Reaction score
I have had several sets of Cooper ST maxx;s and at3 and they do run smaller than advertised by a fair amount.

kxnate

Reaction score
I’ve had 3 sets of cooper at3 xlt. Not on a hd truck but on my previous tundras. 2 sets of 275/70r18 and one set of 285/75r18. Never had any issues with the tires, got over 50k miles out of each set and they rode smooth and quiet until they got under 1/16 of tread. Great tires and I’ll likely be putting them on my new 2500 when it’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how the heck you go 50K out of Coopers?? Ran through a couple sets of of ST Max and a set of AT3's on my old 05. All were well done by 30K or less. Regular rotations, always kept tire pressures in check, mostly pavement travel. It was a diesel though and diesels seem to eat tires for some reason, I'm hoping the new hemi will be a little easier on tires.

Toyotaguy

Reaction score
Not sure how the heck you go 50K out of Coopers?? Ran through a couple sets of of ST Max and a set of AT3's on my old 05. All were well done by 30K or less. Regular rotations, always kept tire pressures in check, mostly pavement travel. It was a diesel though and diesels seem to eat tires for some reason, I'm hoping the new hemi will be a little easier on tires.

They were on my Toyota Tundra which was alway loaded to about 6500lbs. It was a lot of highway miles and ifs is a lot more friendly to tires than straightening axles are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I really like the way your truck looks. And I believe that size will go right on the 8" wide stock wheels. But ignoring looks for a minute, a couple of questions.

Does anyone think that the taller tire with more sidewall will have any noticeable impact on handling? Especially when towing?

2nd question is does the added almost 1" of width really cause more gravel to hit the side of the truck like some claim?

If either of those two things are a factor, I am fine going with the 275/70-18. I just like the way the 295s look but don't want any adverse impact on handling, towing or debris flinging. Probably can't have it both ways?
On my 17, I had LT285/75R18 E 129/126Q Ridge grapplers. Different tire but no adverse handling or towing. I did this size in nitto s for the increase payload per tire. Any new tire will fling gravel, first thing I did with that tradesman was put flares on it to save the paint.

Users who are viewing this thread