Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codes, Codes, Codes... Service DEF, See Dealer, etc

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
Well this is the 2nd time in 4 months that this truck has done this.
I have owned it since new, 4500 hours on it, 230,000 kms, always dealer serviced.

The turbo started acting up, and then I got the DEF message. Took it to a small town dealer, who hooked it up to their big machine, and determined the software wasn't updated, and engine and emissions were not communicating with each other.
Off I went, never got another code again, unit Christmas.

Leave for holidays, and partially up the Coquihalla, ( Highway through Hell) check engine light comes on, no other issues. Then an hour later, its the intermittent dinging of the Service DEF See dealer.. But no countdown.
Drive home (500 km) check engine light is off, nothing is going off.... then after about 200 km, I get the dreaded countdown.
We make it home, turbo and exhaust brake are not functioning correctly.

Codes are :

P0046

P226C

U0101C

U029D

I have three options.
Dealer, to keep it stock. New Turbo/Actuator, and likely DEF pump.
Bernhausen who will do a little bit of work to the exhaust system, and put in a new turbo/actuator
BD Diesel who will put in a Screamer Turbo, or rebuilt OEM, both with actuator, and put in a new exhaust system..

Should I keep it stock for resale in two years?

Or does it really matter? I can't see people spending $12,000 to keep the emissions intact, or caring if I spent that amount.

Who has run a truck minus that and does the mileage improve?

Looking for reliability, and value.

I just put a full Carli Suspension under it last month, and then this happens...

If I could I would trade it in on a new one, but there aren't many (any) Megacabs to be found...

BD.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
None of those codes deal with DEF. Not sure what’s causing the message or countdown.

Two of those codes are for lost communication, both of of which are near/on the turbo. Have you checked all those connections? Was something knocked loose during the suspension install? That could explain all 4 codes.

When did you last add DEF?

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
Added DEF a couple o days before we left.

Odd that the service Def message is non existent.

I am going to let dealer diagnose and then decide what to do.

230,000 kms and spending $12,000 on emissions related repairs is crazy. I’ll check the connections.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Check for pinched/broken wires aswell

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
It’s just odd that it comes and goes.

I did have an issue with the primary fuel separator and every time it rained, it would show water in the fuel. Needed a new connection ..

The Service DEF reminder comes on because turbo isn’t working so it likely os sooting up the system more than the DEF can handle. It’s a finely balanced system, and it doesn’t take much to throw it out off balance!

Bad Daddy

Reaction score
Started it up this AM, and all codes were there.
No DEF reminder.
Will do a drive up a local mountain hill to see what happens.
Booked in for service Monday…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It’s just odd that it comes and goes.

I did have an issue with the primary fuel separator and every time it rained, it would show water in the fuel. Needed a new connection ..

The Service DEF reminder comes on because turbo isn’t working so it likely os sooting up the system more than the DEF can handle. It’s a finely balanced system, and it doesn’t take much to throw it out off balance!
DEF has nothing to do with the turbo or soot levels…. I had a broken DEF wire by the fuse box it was intermittent so its not surprising that it comes and goes…

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Nope, the DEF system has nothing to do with soot... that's the DPF which is a different system.

Users who are viewing this thread