Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Click at Start - but will NOT start

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
This last 2 or 3 days, not every time, but seemed like it was when it was cold out - but did it to me today.

Said "wait to start" and let my foot off the brake pedal. The truck waited - counted down and then clicked.
I turned of the truck and did it again, it again said wait to start, this time I kept my foot on the brake.. but it clicked after the countdown.

I hit the start button again to turn it off, waited like 10 seconds - and then attempted the start the truck and it started just fine.

The next morning, it did the same thing, but I didn't let off the brake pedal. It took a good 3-4 times to do that entire process - before it would start..

Today just did it - and it's warm out - never had the wait to start..

Guess I have to take it in. But it maybe hard for them to replicate.
Anyone else had this issue or heard of it?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Just a guess but have your batteries tested. I believe I remember a few members who had bad batteries and got them replaced under warranty.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Well, she was towed this morning to the dealer. She wouldn't start.
Both batteries were reading 12.65 volts
Just clicks, and then it seems as the starter is engaged and the radio and dash are blank as if it's 'cranking' but it's not.
Then 20 seconds later you hear it click again and then the radio / dash work.

Tow truck driver also attempted to jump it and did the same thing. He said he has seen 4 of this exact issue.

First time in 17 years I've had a Ram towed.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
What is funny, is when I had my Power Wagon and people where having the same issue.
So must be a vendor issue.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Figured I would update this thread, incase others have this issue and they search..

The dealer just called and said "it wasn't something easy and they are still trying to figure it out, it's not the battery or the starter as far as they can see at this point".
Said they would give me an update, but most likely will be tomorrow since it's later in the day today.
I have a rental - not too worried about it. As long as it gets fixed.
They are also doing an oil change for me on the house. Has just under 4500 miles on the truck. Thought that was cool.

22BlackBigHorn

Reaction score
Side Note: They gave me a 2020 Grand Cherokee, fully loaded as a rental. The wife has been wanting this car for some time. So she is loving the hell out of it the last 2 days. She drives a 2006 Dodge Durango with 290K miles on it.
I may be going to the dealer tomorrow to get her one..
Send money!

Users who are viewing this thread