Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic Converter(s) on 2003 2500 with a 5.7

RJordan

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and didn't find a great answer by searching, so please forgive me if this has already been answered and dealt with because I couldn't find it.

I recently purchased my 2003 Ram 2500 with a 5.7. This truck was originally purchased new by my wife's uncle, then sold to my brother in law who I purchased it from, so this vehicle has always been in the family here in Utah.

The issue I'm having is that emissions is due at the end of the month on this truck so I took it in and it failed saying that the catalyst system has been tampered with. When discussing with the tech they told me that their book shows that the truck is supposed to have 2 cats, and they failed it on the visual inspection because the truck only has one. The exhaust has been modified after the converter to exit at the cab corner, but nothing before the muffler has ever been touched from what anybody remembers or can tell me. When I look online at mopars parts diagram it only shows the single cat on the y pipe, which is the same setup it currently has right now, which confirms to me that this is stock. The modifications were all done shortly after the purchase of the vehicle, and it has passed emissions in my county every year since.

My question here is whether this truck is correct and should only have the cat on the y pipe, and if so how on earth do I convince the county to pass it? Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231116-183125.png
    Screenshot_20231116-183125.png
    247.3 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread