Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bumper pull trailer hook up strangeness

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Bought a light duty 20’ bumper pull trailer for mowers & ATV’s yesterday.
At dealer, trailer battery was dead. Dealer stole a battery from trailer next to it. We verified with a tester it was healthy.
Drove 90 miles home. Now I’m pretty sure when my big gooseneck is hooked up, there’s a little trailer icon on the cluster? Sorry, it’s been a few months since I had it connected and I can’t remember.
But when I hook up the new bumper pull to tow it home last night, no trailer icon light.

Get home, disconnect trailer and put truck in garage.

Hook up trailer this morning and push battery test light-battery says its dead. Hook trailer up to tow with it and everything is working fine.
Get back to shop in a few hours and battery tests fine.
Disconnect trailer and I get the disconnected trailer icon on the dash.

Is my trailer plug down on bumper not charging the battery? Is there an icon supposed to be on when trailer plug is connected?
I notice my GN trailer seems to go through a battery per year, too and thought that was very excessive.

Last edited:

Ostracize

Reaction score
Yessir.. Basically tracing and checking all ground connections and checking for continuity across the conductors

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Do you have a small trailer icon on your dash with trailer hooked up? I could go hook up my GN to find out, but it’s 10 miles away and much easier to ask another Ram owner

Ostracize

Reaction score
I do... But I believe(don't take as gospel) that light is for the trailer blind spot monitor... But it's possible it's for both or operates slightly different if you don't have the TBMS

Ostracize

Reaction score
To clarify... I've actually had the trailer light / length of trailer light up when I wasn't hooked up to a thing cause someone was following me out of a parking lot super close and I think it tricked the sensors in the brake lights

jebruns

Reaction score
If the new trailer has a 7 pin plug and you have 12v on the bumper at the pin in your picture above, the problem has to be on the trailer end (assuming ground it good, as mentioned above).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does the trailer have brakes? If not the truck wont show anything on the dash when connected as the only way it knows its there is by the resistance of the brake wiring

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Yes it has brakes on one axle. They respond to both the manual and service brakes.
No trailer icon on dash when plugged-in. But warning light comes on when plug is pulled out.

Other information: trailer sat outside a while and battery was DOA when I bought it. Wonder if theres a rusted ground wire?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No light under normal operation. It will show a trailer with a line thru it if you disconnect the trailer with the ignition on.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I think I remember my Duramax 3500 having one when trailer plugged in
I swore my GN has a light on when plugged in…..oh well. That’s kind of a relief. I thought something was broke.

1674922028294.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread