Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOOM. New PW FORUM....!!!

Randy M

Reaction score
Awesome:
2019-Ram-Power-Wagon.jpg

Ron Snow

Reaction score
A welcome addition. Mine should arrive at the train station on 11/23.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Heading to Moab in December to break in the Blue Streak Pearl PW!
We need plenty of info on this.

Where are you heading from to go to Moab?

You planning to camp, stay in motels, or you with in driving distance to just drive in and go home when done?

Stavo

Reaction score
Starting from Chicago area. Staying in hotels this time. Don't think I want to tow the trailer down 70 in December.

It's a long road trip. Chicago > Denver > Moab > Vegas > Grand Canyon > eventually back to Chicago land. Around 4,000+ by the time we're home.

Now, I have property in Grand Junction area. Will be within driving distance when I retire. :)

Stavo

Reaction score
We need plenty of info on this.

Where are you heading from to go to Moab?

You planning to camp, stay in motels, or you with in driving distance to just drive in and go home when done?
Not much serious wheeling yet. Fins-n- things is next on the list.

Attachments

• 20191209_124411.jpg
    20191209_124411.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20191210_150809.jpg
    20191210_150809.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 62

Stavo

Reaction score
Fins-n- Things complete. Minor scuffs under front bumper. Scraped the hitch twice exiting some steep declines. Hit the frame rail once being stupid and trying to video while driving up an optional obstacle and got off my line.

Traction for days! Even coming out of water we were able to climb up steep sandstone with the lockers engaged and didn't slip a tire. had one climb covered in sand and tires covered in mud/ sand that took a little momentum to climb. Once i spun the tires clean, went up no problem. Whole thing done with 65 lbs in the tires. Would have been even better airing down.

Hill descent control worked great but .6 is s little fast at times.

Attachments

• 20191211_094258.jpg
    20191211_094258.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20191211_125216.jpg
    20191211_125216.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20191211_122249.jpg
    20191211_122249.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 50

MaximumSteel

Reaction score
Whoops...thought this was a different post. I can delete the image and move it to the picture thread.

Stavo

Reaction score

PIP and main video aren't quite synced up but it's close. Sound is from the main video so I had to do less bleeping. GF did the main video and I did the PIP trying to hold my phone and drive. Guess I need to get the latest gopro and mount it. ;)

This is 4-lo, both lockers and sway bar disconnected. I did not air down for any of the trail and didn't have much issue with traction. The sand was wet and packed but it stuck to the tires making some of the climbs up out of the sand onto the fins more interesting. Airing down would have helped a bit. (wait til I post the one where I backup an obstacle so we could get video or hill descent control) There is an alternate route to this climb but... Power Wagon don't care. @ 0:40 is when the frame rail came down on the lip. Less phone, more paying attention to where I'm putting the tires...

Fins-n-things is a 5 of 10 rated trail by the local 4x4 group, Red Rock Four Wheelers. They have rated most, if not all, trails in the Moab area.

Stavo

Reaction score
Last one. This is the trail to Tower Arch and Eye of the Whale. Playing with the hill descent control and articulation a bit. Was able to get the back tire off the ground at one point. I think the front driver's comes off for a brief moment around the 32 second mark.

Sorry about the wind noise. We'll have to invest in an actual mic instead of in-camera.

Thought I had some great drone footage using active track but that file was corrupt on the SD card. Tried every method from the DJI forums and DJI Pilots out there short of paying $$$ for something that wouldn't likely work to recover it. Every other file on the SD is fine

kliffy77

Reaction score
The Power Wagon is a Monster no doubt, But how does it compare to a Rebel in soft sand and beaches? I personally think the Rebel is better in desert running and soft sand due to weight & power, Very much appreciate all inpu.

Stavo

Reaction score
It was fine in the sand in Moab but it was wet so it was fairly packed in most places. On loose gravel and hard pack roads, it is fairly composed. It is not a Trophy Truck though. As a desert runner, a Raptor would be better and probably a Rebel.

kliffy77

Reaction score
It was fine in the sand in Moab but it was wet so it was fairly packed in most places. On loose gravel and hard pack roads, it is fairly composed. It is not a Trophy Truck though. As a desert runner, a Raptor would be better and probably a Rebel.

Very much appreciate your input, My thoughts exactly, I own a Rebel and extremely satisfied with its desert & sand performance, My dealer gave me an attractive offer on a fully loaded Power Wagon but i had mixed feelings and decided to do my homework first.

@JC

Reaction score
If you could get a Rebel with the crew cab and standard sized box it might be an option. Unfortunately the only way to get a crew cab is with the short box, the regular box only comes with a neutered quad cab. Plus no Ram Boxes on the 1500 standard sized box.

kliffy77

Reaction score
I own a crew cab Rebel extremely satisfied i was thinking of exchanging it with a power wagon

Grey

Reaction score
Starting from Chicago area. Staying in hotels this time. Don't think I want to tow the trailer down 70 in December.

It's a long road trip. Chicago > Denver > Moab > Vegas > Grand Canyon > eventually back to Chicago land. Around 4,000+ by the time we're home.

Now, I have property in Grand Junction area. Will be within driving distance when I retire. :)
Nope, you do not want to be towing a trailer little lone sleeping in one, if a artic blast comes rolling down. Seems here in IL, we are having one or two blast a year, mostly mid Jan Feb, but who the hells knows weather. Wind chill hits 40 below its ugly, even more so guys who run diesel. Also IL, is pretty much broke, don't hold your breath for clean roads, total crap shoot. Hotel is the way to go this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread