Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black oil and dirty trans dip stick

Jimmer

Reaction score
I just bought a used 19 Cummins last night. 26k miles on it. Pulled the dipstick and it was black. Dealer said they changed the oil but I said no way it’s still black. Service was closed so I’m taking it Monday to get the oil changed. Any advice on this issue with something I should do or should I just get the normal oil change. Also the transmission dip stick looked dirty too.
1st photo transmission fluid
2nd and 3rd photo is engine oil

I checked both fuel filters snd they did change them both. Also I’ll be adding the edf and lx4 to the tank to help that CP4 and I got a extra bumper to bumper warranty in case of pump failure.
Thx for advice! Glad to be back in a Cummins! REALLY love how these new ones ride!

Attachments

• CA9D4B18-329A-49C1-A37B-D91AD6F7F11D.jpeg
    CA9D4B18-329A-49C1-A37B-D91AD6F7F11D.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 44
  • EE11B5D5-F132-4D43-8F62-5BF0F86D666E.jpeg
    EE11B5D5-F132-4D43-8F62-5BF0F86D666E.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 7B4BF648-252F-4656-A006-EC23C9DE625F.jpeg
    7B4BF648-252F-4656-A006-EC23C9DE625F.jpeg
    903.9 KB · Views: 44

MtnRider

Reaction score
First diesel I take it? The oil will be black the second it goes in thanks to the EGR function. Nothing to worry about it's fine. 15K is the change interval.

Now the transmission should be redish and not black but it's hard to tell from the phot

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
First diesel I take it? The oil will be black the second it goes in thanks to the EGR function. Nothing to worry about it's fine. 15K is the change interval.

Now the transmission should be redish and not black but it's hard to tell from the phot

It has nothing to do with the egr even my old 12V would do it.....

OP the trans stick should not be dirty like that is the fluid a nice red? It looks like the fluid was clean but the stick was dirty....

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
oil is fine. can't tell on the trans fluid. maybe the dipstick was just dirty. how'd the rest of underhood look?

Squatch

Reaction score
That stuff will be octopus ink until the day it dies.

I recycle my oil at the auto parts store, one day guy who took the oil back and dumped it says “ I think something is wrong with your car, what did that oil come out of?” Me “ it’s a Cummins” auto parts store guy “ never mind.”

D

Deleted member 80

If it's a 68RFE, the ATF+4 fluid does not stay nice cherry red for long. It tends to darken quite a bit, and is normal. I just changed the fluid in my Aisin at 30K, and it was still bright red.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought a used 19 Cummins last night. 26k miles on it. Pulled the dipstick and it was black. Dealer said they changed the oil but I said no way it’s still black. Service was closed so I’m taking it Monday to get the oil changed. Any advice on this issue with something I should do or should I just get the normal oil change. Also the transmission dip stick looked dirty too.
1st photo transmission fluid
2nd and 3rd photo is engine oil

I checked both fuel filters snd they did change them both. Also I’ll be adding the edf and lx4 to the tank to help that CP4 and I got a extra bumper to bumper warranty in case of pump failure.
Thx for advice! Glad to be back in a Cummins! REALLY love how these new ones ride!

As has been said, black oil is normal.

What was the prior Cummins if it didn't also have black oil after a change? The only time they'll not show black is before you start it.

Jimmer

Reaction score
second Cummins but I don’t remember the black oil on my other one. Ya the trans oil is nice and red but when I wipe the dipstick the dipstick itself looks dirty. Everything under the hood looks great though, air filter is brand new!! I guess I’ll check the oil filter to see if it looks like they replaced it.

Jimmer

Reaction score
If it's a 68RFE, the ATF+4 fluid does not stay nice cherry red for long. It tends to darken quite a bit, and is normal. I just changed the fluid in my Aisin at 30K, and it was still bright red.
Ahh I see. Ya it’s 68rfe

Firebird

Reaction score
Every Cummins I’ve ever owned turns the oil black immediately.

Jimmer

Reaction score
second Cummins but I don’t remember the black oil on my other one. Ya the trans oil is nice and red but when I wipe the dipstick the dipstick itself looks dirty. Everything under the hood looks great though, air filter is brand new!! I guess I’ll check the oil filter to see if it looks like they replaced it.
It was a 2015. Not sure why my brain can’t recall the black oil. Anyways thank you guys for the help I appreciate it!

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Every single diesel I own, or have owned, turns the oil BLACK. Perfectly normal.

Nick

Reaction score
Oil is fine every smoked engines oil looks like that . Big and small . Nature of the beast . Smell the tranny fluid no burn smell ,red color it is good .

Badunit

Reaction score
My 2003 (pre-emissions) would get dark after starting it after an oil change but my 2015 turns jet black. Makes it easy to see on the stick.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Change it all it makes u feel better, its your truck, I bought a used car once, they said it had a full service, checked and had no oil in it
Hell, back in 73, my dad bought a brand new Ford F-150 off the lot that had no oil in it. That truck was a pos it’s whole life. Valve job had to be done at 60k among many other issues.

Users who are viewing this thread