Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Gearing For My Usage - 2500 6.4 Hemi

savaytse66

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a lifelong 1500 owner (Chevy/GMC) who had decided to not only jump ship to Ram, but also move to a 2500. I am putting together a Mega Cab build with a 6'-4" bed and a 6.4 Hemi. My usage is as follows:

• By and large will be used as a daily driver for the family of 4. My commute to work is about 5 miles each way (4 times per day), but I use it more heavily in the evenings and weekends around town.
  • I do not tow or haul much. I have a 20' utility trailer that hauls my compact utility tractor and some implements, or sometimes a few ATVs, so maybe around 5,000 pounds? I tow this maybe a half dozen times a year.
  • Over the next year, I expect to be getting and using a livestock trailer, though I do not expect this to weigh much more than my tractor-loaded utility trailer.
  • I usually take a half dozen to a dozen longer highway-type trips every year.
If you're thinking a 2500 is overkill already, I tend to agree. By I have been very disappointed with the 6.2 Sierra I've had for the past 3-1/2 years, and it's just time for a change. Fuel efficiency is important, although clearly within the confines of a utility truck. So with the new 8 speed paired with the 6.4, which is the better gearing?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 80

Mine has 4.10s, and 2K RPM is pushing close to 80 mph. The eight speed should make it much better, but I'd still get 4.10s. MPG is gonna suck anyway, so might as well have the performance.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Unless you need it quickly, you may be better served to start seeing some real reviews coming in on the new 8 speed. If you need it now, get the 4.10s.

In my research, with the old transmission, the 4.10s were a must. The shifts we're just too far off and a lot of people we're unhappy with the 3.73. With the 8 speed, I bet most of that will be fixed, and, it would probably work for your needs. I would just be hesitant to pull the trigger without more information from owners with the new combo and 3.73s.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has a 392 and 3.73s. I do not tow with it yet, but will not be afraid to tow right up to the gross weight. First gear is very low at 5:1, which makes it very easy to get a load rolling. I'm getting 15 mpg right now with only 700 miles on the truck and it should get better as the truck loosens up. The engine also turns 1750 rpm at 70 mph. It seems happy there.

I used to tow an 11000# trailer with a 6L Chevy and 4.10s. It was my opinion at the time I needed the gears, but this new truck/transmission is different. I don't think you need 4.10s to tow 11000 - 12000 with this new truck.

4.10s will cost you some fuel economy, and would be worth it if you were towing heavier; but based on my experience you don't need them for the loads you are talking about.

However, you really have to weigh your wants against your needs. You may want 4.10s and they will tow better, but at a cost. And no one can argue with your wants! Get whichever floats your boat and enjoy the new truck!

My opinion of course....

Pronto

Reaction score
Do you have any future plans of putting on bigger tires?

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any future plans of putting on bigger tires?

If that question is for me, the answer is probably. I'm thinking about 285/75-18 ATs. Thay are about 5% larger (if my memory is correct) and will certainly have some effect on performance. But based on the way my truck drives and performs I would tow at the factory limits for this truck. I do not believe that the over all taller gear ratio would have a large effect on performance.

Heckyl

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a lifelong 1500 owner (Chevy/GMC) who had decided to not only jump ship to Ram, but also move to a 2500. I am putting together a Mega Cab build with a 6'-4" bed and a 6.4 Hemi. My usage is as follows:

• By and large will be used as a daily driver for the family of 4. My commute to work is about 5 miles each way (4 times per day), but I use it more heavily in the evenings and weekends around town.
  • I do not tow or haul much. I have a 20' utility trailer that hauls my compact utility tractor and some implements, or sometimes a few ATVs, so maybe around 5,000 pounds? I tow this maybe a half dozen times a year.
  • Over the next year, I expect to be getting and using a livestock trailer, though I do not expect this to weigh much more than my tractor-loaded utility trailer.
If you're thinking a 2500 is overkill already, I tend to agree. By I have been very disappointed with the 6.2 Sierra I've had for the past 3-1/2 years, and it's just time for a change. Fuel efficiency is important, although clearly within the confines of a utility truck. So with the new 8 speed paired with the 6.4, which is the better gearing?

Thanks!

Hello all,

Thanks!

I have had a 2500 with 4.10 axel ratio with Hemi (powerwagon) . I used it for my daily driver for many years with a fair amount of highway driving with some light hauling for a farm like you mentioned. I now have a 3500 SRW daily driver with a 3.73 axel ratio. I do pull with this truck also sometimes (occasional tractor, skid steer, smaller trackhoe). What I have found is that I have liked the diesel and lower axel ratio better for me. The 4.10 axel ratio with the old tranny and Hemi didn’t like high speeds on the highway ( can’t remember rpm at 75mph, but the truck sounded and felt with vibration and engine rpm that it didnt like above 75mph.... it would do it, but it and me were uncomfortable). I did have slightly larger mud tires which didn’t help it’s highway manners. I would think that the new 8 would help... don’t know. The Cummins with lower axel ratio ( with larger mud tires also) cruises at high speeds 80+ and pulls much better than the Hemi. This is just my opinion,
but what I have found is that a 2500 or (3500 in my case) is not overkill.... you can only have underkill. In other words, you can’t have a truck with too much capability, but you CAN have a truck with too little capability. I also have a 2500 that my son is currently driving. I can’t tell any difference in ride quality in the 2500 vs 3500. My other 2 cents worth is.... think about how long the mega cab truck will be for a daily driver. It’s hard enough to manuever crewcab 6’4” box for parking. I use my truck as daily driver also but would not like the mega cab.
Just some thoughts.

orlando bull

Reaction score
I have had a 2500 with 4.10 axel ratio with Hemi (powerwagon) . I used it for my daily driver for many years with a fair amount of highway driving with some light hauling for a farm like you mentioned. I now have a 3500 SRW daily driver with a 3.73 axel ratio. I do pull with this truck also sometimes (occasional tractor, skid steer, smaller trackhoe). What I have found is that I have liked the diesel and lower axel ratio better for me. The 4.10 axel ratio with the old tranny and Hemi didn’t like high speeds on the highway ( can’t remember rpm at 75mph, but the truck sounded and felt with vibration and engine rpm that it didnt like above 75mph.... it would do it, but it and me were uncomfortable). I did have slightly larger mud tires which didn’t help it’s highway manners. I would think that the new 8 would help... don’t know. The Cummins with lower axel ratio ( with larger mud tires also) cruises at high speeds 80+ and pulls much better than the Hemi. This is just my opinion,
but what I have found is that a 2500 or (3500 in my case) is not overkill.... you can only have underkill. In other words, you can’t have a truck with too much capability, but you CAN have a truck with too little capability. I also have a 2500 that my son is currently driving. I can’t tell any difference in ride quality in the 2500 vs 3500. My other 2 cents worth is.... think about how long the mega cab truck will be for a daily driver. It’s hard enough to manuever crewcab 6’4” box for parking. I use my truck as daily driver also but would not like the mega cab.
Just some thoughts.

That's a good point on the mega cab, it adds something like 11" to the overall length of the truck. I wanted it for the interior space, but, I work in a downtown setting and have to park in tighter parking lots pretty frequently. I couldn't go that length. The crew cab will be about 6" longer than my current truck.

savaytse66

Reaction score
That's a good point on the mega cab, it adds something like 11" to the overall length of the truck. I wanted it for the interior space, but, I work in a downtown setting and have to park in tighter parking lots pretty frequently. I couldn't go that length. The crew cab will be about 6" longer than my current truck.

Fortunately, I am in a position where parking at work is a non-issue, and most of the places I go regularly, I tend to park away from the little cars anyway (it's a rare opportunity for free exercise). My only concern is parking garages, but even those are fairly infrequent. I want if for the interior space also; my wife has a nice cushy Explorer, but I'm vastly more comfortable in the space and stature of my truck, especially for a long trip.

I think for my use, I've settled on the 3.73 gears. I simply don't tow frequent or heavy enough for the 4.10s to make that much of a difference. Since I drive the highways more often than I tow, the lower RPM will be more comfortable to me ears (I'm not one that gets excited over loud engines; if they were whisper quiet with the same power, I'd be the 1st in line), and maybe even better on the wallet, for what that's worth. I'll probably agonize over the decision for a few more weeks though before pulling the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread