Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Banks Ram-Air Cold Air Intake

CforHD

Reaction score
Banks recently released their new Ram-Air cold air intake for the 2019+ models. Their data shows big gains in CFM and pressure. However, they don't really mention how this translates to real-world improvments (HP, trq., mpg, etc.).

Has anyone here installed one? What are your general thoughts on it? What improvements did it make, if any? Does it require a tune (ie. Derringer) to take advantage of the increased CFM/Pressure?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Banks recently released their new Ram-Air cold air intake for the 2019+ models. Their data shows big gains in CFM and pressure. However, they don't really mention how this translates to real-world improvments (HP, trq., mpg, etc.).

Has anyone here installed one? What are your general thoughts on it? What improvements did it make, if any? Does it require a tune (ie. Derringer) to take advantage of the increased CFM/Pressure?
The reason they dont show any HP/TQ/MPG numbers is because there is none otherwise they would be all over that for marketing purposes

BadRam3500

Reaction score
I think the only way it’ll net more power is with more boost . The factory intake is more than enough for stock power levels .
Add boost and the factory intake might be a tad restrictive.
That being said , I have it installed with the banks manifold. I think it builds power smoother and has that nice turbo whistle.
Can’t wait for a nice tune

CforHD

Reaction score
Thats what I assumed. So pretty much a waste of money unless you plan on tuning or simply want a better sound resonating into to the cab?

I've heard claims of better fuel economy (+0.5 MPG) but this seems counterintuitive. If you add more air then you require more fuel which in turn creates more power. But maybe the added pressure plays a role on this...

Maybe this is an idea for Project Farm "We're gonna test that!"

BadRam3500

Reaction score
If you are looking for power I would go with the manifold first …. Then a nice legal tune with the intake . Or vice versa .

Firebird

Reaction score
I’ve run S&B CAI before, and liked them. They didn’t add power, but they did improve over all drivability

Firebird

Reaction score
Smoother acceleration, easier acceleration if that makes sense? Seems to take less throttle input. I do not have one on my 21, but I may down the road. I will say my 19 towed with a little less effort once the S&B was installed.

Arth

Reaction score
I am currently running an emissions intact tune and that was a huge benefit. Ordered the Banks air intake and the banks monster ram.

Once I get everything installed I think I'll reach out to the tuner with some data logs to see if the tune can be tweaked a bit for better performance taking into account the new parts.

biofumes

Reaction score
I picked up a 2022 6.7 HO, and it has more than enough power without having to add anything to it. I was thinking about getting the cold air intake filter just for sound, but it has its own growl, with the stock setup.

Firebird

Reaction score
I picked up a 2022 6.7 HO, and it has more than enough power without having to add anything to it. I was thinking about getting the cold air intake filter just for sound, but it has its own growl, with the stock setup.
The HO definitely has a different sound than the SO

BadRam3500

Reaction score
The best way to describe it is that it delivers the power smoother . You still won’t win any races . My mileage is pretty much the same because I keep on leaning into it to hear the turbo ‍♂️

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Thats what I assumed. So pretty much a waste of money unless you plan on tuning or simply want a better sound resonating into to the cab?

I've heard claims of better fuel economy (+0.5 MPG) but this seems counterintuitive. If you add more air then you require more fuel which in turn creates more power. But maybe the added pressure plays a role on this...

Maybe this is an idea for Project Farm "We're gonna test that!"
Imo....your thinking behind more air = more fuel is more gasser oriented....for a turbo it takes fuel to create drive pressure which then creates boost....if your turbo can create more boost with less drive pressure (fuel) then it becomes more efficient....when you hit the go pedal you create a demand for boost....if your intake is restrictive then you need more drive pressure to build more boost...a less restrictive intake will flow more air under less drive pressure....

IronByron

Reaction score
Ordered this a while back. Finally arrived. Wow, you can really hear the turbo spool now (and I love it).

Attachments

• 6F4B85CC-19F2-47ED-9A0C-A09A4A4B3C74.jpeg
    6F4B85CC-19F2-47ED-9A0C-A09A4A4B3C74.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 113

Arth

Reaction score
Ordered this a while back. Finally arrived. Wow, you can really hear the turbo spool now (and I love it).
Never did update mine either. Been running it for a few months now and love it as well. More turbo spool for sure. As far as response I can't tell due to my tune. I just got in their boost tubes as well. Those will go on soon. The monster ram I will wait until I get to CA and let them install it.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Never did update mine either. Been running it for a few months now and love it as well. More turbo spool for sure. As far as response I can't tell due to my tune. I just got in their boost tubes as well. Those will go on soon. The monster ram I will wait until I get to CA and let them install it.
They told me, Banks, that it's an 11 hour job doing boost tunes and the monster Air installation... that seemed excessive, but I'll find out when I get there

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Arth

Reaction score
They told me, Banks, that it's an 11 hour job doing boost tunes and the monster Air installation... that seemed excessive, but I'll find out when I get there

Did they quote you a price? I'll be doing just the one.

Either way pretty sure I'll pay whatever and drop it off to them.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Did they quote you a price? I'll be doing just the one.

Either way pretty sure I'll pay whatever and drop it off to them.
Yes 1650 for the labor. I about fell out of my chair... so I made a few calls si ce my old man used to work with them when he owned an Aamco... so I got a small discount on labor. But 1650 and 11 hours. I rented a car to head home and come back the next afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread