Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad Head Gasket!!

Bags@1108

Reaction score
New to the site and a first time Ram owner. Bought a 2019 CPO Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi on March 5. Yesterday I watched it ride away on a flat bed. I had a puddle of coolant in my driveway. My buddy and I suspected a head gasket. Dealer called me today and confirmed it is the head gasket.

He told me he hasn’t seen this yet on these trucks. Especially one that is basically new. They haven’t pulled it apart yet to really know why it happened. They are waiting to hear from Chrysler.

Anyone else gone through this, or can give me any insight? Not a real happy person. Thankfully the truck has the CPO warranty, the balance of the power train warranty and I bought the bumper to bumper extended warranty, so it is covered.

Side note, watched my new truck leave on a flat bed yesterday and watched my old Yukon XL with over 217,000 miles on it drive away with its new owner.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
New to the site and a first time Ram owner. Bought a 2019 CPO Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi on March 5. Yesterday I watched it ride away on a flat bed. I had a puddle of coolant in my driveway. My buddy and I suspected a head gasket. Dealer called me today and confirmed it is the head gasket.

He told me he hasn’t seen this yet on these trucks. Especially one that is basically new. They haven’t pulled it apart yet to really know why it happened. They are waiting to hear from Chrysler.

Anyone else gone through this, or can give me any insight? Not a real happy person. Thankfully the truck has the CPO warranty, the balance of the power train warranty and I bought the bumper to bumper extended warranty, so it is covered.

Side note, watched my new truck leave on a flat bed yesterday and watched my old Yukon XL with over 217,000 miles on it drive away with its new owner.
That sucks.

Do you have any detail about who was using it for what prior to when it came into your possession?

Bags@1108

Reaction score
That sucks.

Do you have any detail about who was using it for what prior to when it came into your possession?
Car fax was clean. Otherwise I really do not know anything else. The dealer claims to not know any real history other then the car fax either. I went to a big name dealer not a mom and pop shop.

Bags@1108

Reaction score
Update on my truck.
Still at the dealer. Chrysler will not release parts until the dealer pulls the truck apart and they take measurements of the heads and have specific information as to what is wrong with the truck.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Any over heating issues prior to this? I have seen the EcoDiesels have this issue when the EGR fails also.

Bags@1108

Reaction score
Any over heating issues prior to this? I have seen the EcoDiesels have this issue when the EGR fails also.
No cooling issues in the week in a half I had it. Prior to me buying it is a mystery I guess. The dealer said he found nothing in the computer that says there were issue prior.

Since the truck was new to me and I would be towing our travel trailer with it I had the gauges set to watch the fluid temps so I would know what regular running temps would be to have a baseline for when I was towing. The truck ran around 205 to 215 degrees regularly. Which when I looked it up to verify the numbers was normal.

sstoner911

Reaction score
No cooling issues in the week in a half I had it. Prior to me buying it is a mystery I guess. The dealer said he found nothing in the computer that says there were issue prior.

Since the truck was new to me and I would be towing our travel trailer with it I had the gauges set to watch the fluid temps so I would know what regular running temps would be to have a baseline for when I was towing. The truck ran around 205 to 215 degrees regularly. Which when I looked it up to verify the numbers was normal.
Hopefully they get it fixed for you quickly. Sucks to be without a truck.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Car fax was clean. Otherwise I really do not know anything else. The dealer claims to not know any real history other then the car fax either. I went to a big name dealer not a mom and pop shop.
Going to a "Big name dealer" doesn't mean squat. I just traded in my 2019 Ram 1500 on a 2020 Ram 3500, at a "Big" dealer. While i was in the sales office signing the paperwork for my new truck, their was an older couple beside me signing their paperwork. When i went out to my new truck to leave, they were getting into my old truck and leaving. The dealer had never seen my truck before i arrived, didn't inspect it or drive it prior to selling it to this couple.

Do not for one moment think that dealerships of any size have integrity.

Bags@1108

Reaction score
Update,
Yesterday was the 3 week mark without my truck. To put that in perspective, I had it for 12 days before it went back to the dealer. Chrysler looked at it last week and deemed it was only the head gasket and released that parts so my truck could get fixed. The parts arrived this past Tuesday (I got a text notification telling me so). Talked to the dealer today and they are pressure testing the coolant system today and tomorrow and I should have it back Saturday.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Update,
Yesterday was the 3 week mark without my truck. To put that in perspective, I had it for 12 days before it went back to the dealer. Chrysler looked at it last week and deemed it was only the head gasket and released that parts so my truck could get fixed. The parts arrived this past Tuesday (I got a text notification telling me so). Talked to the dealer today and they are pressure testing the coolant system today and tomorrow and I should have it back Saturday.
Was it a repo or rental? If so it was most likely “rode hard and put away wet” resulting in the issue you have or it just could have been a fluke it does happen

side note, small dealers can be better as they need customer satisfaction and word of mouth for repeat business to help stay open

Bags@1108

Reaction score
Was it a repo or rental? If so it was most likely “rode hard and put away wet” resulting in the issue you have or it just could have been a fluke it does happen

side note, small dealers can be better as they need customer satisfaction and word of mouth for repeat business to help stay ope

To my knowledge it was either of those things mentioned. But I guess you never know the history. For my own sanity I am going with it was a Friday afternoon made gasket.

Bags@1108

Reaction score
Got the truck back Saturday finally!!! Seems to be okay as of now. Still smell coolant, but I think it is just burning off whatever got on things durning the repair. I am keeping an eye on the coolant level until the smell goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread