Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up Camera

Scherm

Reaction score
I had my 2023 3500 into the shop because the rear backup camera went black. The service tec tracked it down to a loose connection. A few days later, I picked up my 5th wheel, plugged into the 7 pin and chose 5th wheel gooseneck on the RAM prompt. When I parked the RV and disconnected the 7 pin, the rear back up screen was black again. I tried shutting down the truck and restarting, but it did not work. The following day, the camera worked. Is there a procedure I need to do to tell the truck there is no trailer anymore?

Scherm

Reaction score
Backup Camera: been to the shop twice. The rear backup camera (on the truck) went black again. I've narrowed it down to my 7 pin. Perhaps, I'm supposed to shut off the truck before I unplug my 5th wheel?

baker01

Reaction score
Backup Camera: been to the shop twice. The rear backup camera (on the truck) went black again. I've narrowed it down to my 7 pin. Perhaps, I'm supposed to shut off the truck before I unplug my 5th wheel?
I almost always unplug my 2022 with the truck running and the camera works with no issues.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I had my 2023 3500 into the shop because the rear backup camera went black. The service tec tracked it down to a loose connection. A few days later, I picked up my 5th wheel, plugged into the 7 pin and chose 5th wheel gooseneck on the RAM prompt. When I parked the RV and disconnected the 7 pin, the rear back up screen was black again. I tried shutting down the truck and restarting, but it did not work. The following day, the camera worked. Is there a procedure I need to do to tell the truck there is no trailer anymore?

Choosing 5th wheel only sets the BSM. I never choose 5th wheel because I want BSM to do something regardless if it's accurate or not. It actually does OK but may not with a wide body 5th wheel.

If you unplug the trailer umbilical with the truck running, it's going to throw an error on the dash.

FWIW, my 2020 UC4 with analog AUX1 trailer cam just turns blue just like any other time its not connected. The backup camera is never affected.

Maybe the 23 is different?

Scherm

Reaction score
So, it could be a short in the 7 wire plug or a unconnected issue.

Users who are viewing this thread