Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axle Vents/Breathers

el_barto

Reaction score
I noticed this as well, but i still feel it needs to be extended. Goretex is great in the rain and snow and splashes, but I wouldn’t trust it for full submersion

jupp0r

Reaction score
I noticed this as well, but i still feel it needs to be extended. Goretex is great in the rain and snow and splashes, but I wouldn’t trust it for full submersion

Exactly, especially if there is negative pressure differential due to the diff cooling down. Even if the GoreTex membrane seals tight when submerged, the diff still can’t get air to equalize the pressure. Something is going to give and it could be the axle seals that suck in water (same as when they leak when the breather is clogged).

el_barto

Reaction score
Very good point about the axle cooling...even if it seals, it needs to breathe.
Worth noting, I just found the spec sheet for this little breather and its rated water entry pressure is >5psi for 60seconds. 5 psi equates to about 10ft of water column...I don’t plan on fjording anything that deep haha.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Exactly, especially if there is negative pressure differential due to the diff cooling down. Even if the GoreTex membrane seals tight when submerged, the diff still can’t get air to equalize the pressure. Something is going to give and it could be the axle seals that suck in water (same as when they leak when the breather is clogged).

It's not about sealing tight. The membrane is sealed completely against the vent. It's not a flap (or Goretex) and it does allow air in and out to equalize. It's basically an incredibly fine filter that allows air molecules to pass, but nothing bigger.

Either way; it's good peace of mind to extend your lines.

jupp0r

Reaction score
It's not about sealing tight. The membrane is sealed completely against the vent. It's not a flap (or Goretex) and it does allow air in and out to equalize. It's basically an incredibly fine filter that allows air molecules to pass, but nothing bigger.

Either way; it's good peace of mind to extend your lines.
It doesn't allow air in if it's submerged.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I extended the front axle and transfer case up to the master cylinder, and took the truck through 3' of water this week and all seems well so I'd say it was a success.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Needs pics / vids for proof
I don't have anything for the deep water besides a slightly stained pair of pants, but the videos I do have are at the end of this thread.

This video shows a kind of outside view of where I went. The water when I went through was a couple inches above my running boards, however high they are.

jupp0r

Reaction score
It would allow air out and keep water from entering though. Which I believe would be more important and the purpose.

When the air in the axle/diff contracts because it cools down in the water and there is lower pressure in there, something is gotta give.

jupp0r

Reaction score
You should consider relocating that to the center of your firewall above your engine. I have stuck my nose in deep many times coming down a steep bank during a creek crossing.

It’s above and further back than the intake (no snorkels for the 2020s yet). If water gets in there, having a few drops of water in the front diff won’t be my biggest problem. I appreciate the warning though, I’ll relocate whenever I install a snorkel.

akguy09

Reaction score
The vent on my new Power wagon seem pretty sad, they look like a little 3 inch nub on the axle. My 2012 Diesel ram had the axle breather attached all the way up on the top of the spring mount

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Anybody who has extended their breather willing to part with the factory gore breather? Looking for two, for a rock crawler.

Pic of gore breather F4492CB0-332F-4334-A6DE-FDA0E3D6AD89.jpeg

el_barto

Reaction score
You can Just buy the front Breather vent directly from Mopar. It’s only $7.50 each

68216934AA

^^^ that’s the little elbow nipple the hose slips onto, actually. And then the pn listed for the actual vent hose comes up with a picture of a longer hose with the white ball valve thing... so i don’t know what the correct part number for the gore vent is :(

Last edited:

2powerwagons

Reaction score
I never looked at the breathers on my 19. Never knew they were so short. The ones on my 07 were extended from the factory. The front one is up in the shock tower and I think the rear is up along the bed somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread