Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Rain Sensors Issues

lttravel

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 2500 keep turning wipers on as intermittent when rain stop. When raining it works properly increasing and decreasing as expected but when rain stop it turn to the original intermittent system. Never stop. In fact when you turn on the engine in the morning the wipers turn on too. I took it to service and no wrong was found. I also tested all new model in dealer and all performed wrong. Somebody knows any update or recall?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing...which is weird because the 2019 1500 I traded in worked flawlessly...

Daybreak

Reaction score
Howdy,

Auto rain sense works only in the first position. Any other position is the timed wipe, up to on low or on fast.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Howdy,

Auto rain sense works only in the first position. Any other position is the timed wipe, up to on low or on fast.

Yep... mine is on the first 'click'...just like on the 2019 1500 I had. However, on the 2500 it wipes when I turn the truck on and for apparently no reason while driving under dry and sunny skies.

SkW3rL

Reaction score
Mine will swipe once when I start the truck, and sometimes throughout the drive it will wipe again once or twice. But there is no rhyme or reason to it, you couldn't set a watch to it. I just assumed the sensor was dirty enough it needed to get the dust off... Hasn't really bothered me yet.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Mine will swipe once when I start the truck, and sometimes throughout the drive it will wipe again once or twice. But there is no rhyme or reason to it, you couldn't set a watch to it. I just assumed the sensor was dirty enough it needed to get the dust off... Hasn't really bothered me yet.

Considering it worked flawlessly on the 1500, this annoys the crap of out me...

brucie

Reaction score
Yep... mine is on the first 'click'...just like on the 2019 1500 I had. However, on the 2500 it wipes when I turn the truck on and for apparently no reason while driving under dry and sunny skies.

Mine is exactly the same. It wipes soon as you turn on the truck and then at random times maybe every 5-10 minutes as you drive in perfectly sunny weather.

moshez333

Reaction score
The rain sensor is basically a humidity sensor
You get air from the front steam exit
And that drives the sensor crazy

Put your hand down the center of the window Feel Air

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Possibly related to the defroster blowing all the time?

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
The rain sensor is basically a humidity sensor
You get air from the front steam exit
And that drives the sensor crazy

Put your hand down the center of the window Feel Air
Interesting. My understanding is that most auto wiper systems employ an infrared light beam projected through the windshield at an angle. The sensor monitors the ir light reflection, which changes when rain, water, snow etc hits this area of the windshield. Anyhoo, the 19 HD OM has this tidbit as regards system sensitivity:

"The sensitivity of the system can be adjusted with the multifunction
lever. Wiper delay position 1 is the least sensitive,
and wiper delay position 5 is the most sensitive. Position 3
should be used for normal rain conditions. Positions 1 and 2
can be used if the driver desires less wiper sensitivity. Positions
4 and 5 can be used if the driver desires more sensitivity.
Place the wiper switch in the O (off) position when not

using the system."

I was leaving the switch in position 1 but given the aforementioned gremlin, I currently leave it off due to the prevelance of heavy frost, freezing temps and snow this time of year.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
Bringing this one back from the dead with very little reason.. just picked up 2022 and my auto wipers are bugging me. It's definitely infrared as I can trigger the wipers by covering the sensor behind the glass. Anyway, I've noticed mine goes off most reliably when I'm going to a stop. I figure there's something within that cowl that houses all the sensor jazz that might be loose. I'm gonna pry it off and have a look. will post an update here later.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
Oh yeah, nope. Nothing. No idea. Still keeps me up most nights

Users who are viewing this thread