Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever lowered the rear?

Razzman

Reaction score
Sounds odd I know. Just picked up a 2020 2500 Limited CTD and I have a dilemma, the rear is too high. I'm 64 with a bad back, hip and knees so even with a bed step it's a chore. Our previous 2017 RAM 1500 was no issue even leveled. So my thinking is if I can get 2-2 1/2" rear springs that still retain the load capacity that would be a lot better and be close to level as well. I can always add air bags if needed, I do tow a trailer but's it's only around 6,500 lbs with a 700 lb tongue weight. So to those with more knowledge of the heavy duty trucks;
1) Do such springs exist?
2) I'm guessing the sway bar links would need to be shorter, what else would need to be changed?

Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you look you really only have 4” worth of suspension travel to the bump stops, best thing which would be pricey is swap out the coils for an aftermarket airbag setup with the proper length airbags you can keep the payload rating and lower it to a better hight for yourself i would expect to pay 1000-1500 for such a setup though

RPS1030

Reaction score
I did Thuren 1” lift front coils and 1/2” lowering rear coils plus Airlift airbags/Daystar Cradles on my 19. I moved the airbags/cradles from my 16 Power Wagon. Currently have his Fox 2.0 shocks until I rebuild/revolve the Kings I also kept.

Overall, I’m not thrilled with it currently. It did end up level and lower than stock and the previous truck. But the airbags, even with 0 psi when not towing lead to a lot of harshness due to the reduced bump travel.

I’m looking to do something different from the airbags and might end up with taller springs to end up about 1.5” higher than current.

Razzman

Reaction score
Makes sense on the bump stop, didn't think of it that way. I'm not going to make a decision on anything until I hook up the trailer and see how it reacts. Not sure if or how much it'll drop with 700 lbs of tongue weight.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Assuming it's a TT, load the fresh water tank for another 300 pounds towards the front if it's got the tank up there.

Power247

Reaction score
Sounds odd I know. Just picked up a 2020 2500 Limited CTD and I have a dilemma, the rear is too high. I'm 64 with a bad back, hip and knees so even with a bed step it's a chore. Our previous 2017 RAM 1500 was no issue even leveled. So my thinking is if I can get 2-2 1/2" rear springs that still retain the load capacity that would be a lot better and be close to level as well. I can always add air bags if needed, I do tow a trailer but's it's only around 6,500 lbs with a 700 lb tongue weight. So to those with more knowledge of the heavy duty trucks;
1) Do such springs exist?
2) I'm guessing the sway bar links would need to be shorter, what else would need to be changed?

Thanks
I lowered then rear of my '12 by removing the leaf pack spacers. I'm considering lowering the rear of my '19 too as it makes loading and unloading much easier. Another member pointed me to this place. I haven't purchased yet but the reviews I found online have been good. http://www.coilsprings.com

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Power247

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the ugly truck problem we have in America that nobody is addressing
View attachment 10830
I agree, that's a problem. But this is what I'm talking about...
6cf587ee77a231bad38283c3e7081c6e.jpg

Greg

Power247

Reaction score
Oh I know. I’m just a class clown. I wasn’t making fun of your truck or the OP
It's all good. I appreciated the joke. Also wanted to make sure anyone scrolling through knew what was actually being discussed

Greg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dangerous as well as stupid looking. And in many you can get engine dry sump causing failures
The sump is at the rear of the engine where all the oil would go..... plus you would need to be almost vertical to start cavitating the oil pump

Frank

Reaction score
Back to the original question...

Just go low tech and keep one of these in your truck. I have the 3 step and use it if I'm at home and have to get in and out more than a few times. And I use it to get my wife's grandma who has mobility issues in and out of the passenger seat.

World's Greatest® Type II Steel Step Stool - 225 lb. Max at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444424027956.htm

Finn5033

Reaction score
I wanted to revive this thread in case anybody else is interested in this. I wanted to level my truck but did not want to raise it more. Reasons for that are it sits plenty high already, I don't want to put bigger tires on it, and It would be nice to have the rear lower for loading. I do tow our RV / Fish house with this truck and it has a 1,200lb hitch weight so I have the Airlift loadlifter 5000 airbag kit on my truck which is great and makes the towing experience much better. That was my first concern with dropping the rear is how it would work with the airbags.

I called Airlift and they said that the airbag itself is designed to be 5-7" on the truck when unloaded. So last night when I got home I took a bunch of measurements. My truck has roughly 2.5" of rake. The bags on my truck are at exactly 5" with no air in them. With the 5lbs they recommend keeping in them it raised 1/8". So with 5lbs in the bags I hooked up my trailer and it drops the rear of my truck about 2" and in turn compressed the bags to 3". That leaves my truck with about .5” of rake still. For towing I'd been running 40lbs in the bags which brings the rear back up 1". So while towing I have 1.5" of rake and the bags are at 4" compression. After talking with the guy at Airlift he agreed that if I lower the rear 1.75" and just make sure to pressurize the bags before hooking up I won't damage them.

I've only towed the trailer once so I don't have the pressure for the bags quite dialed in. But I can air them up 60 more lbs than I did when taking the measurements. I did order 1.75" drop springs keeping the factory load capacity from Coil Spring Specialties. I went with that amount of drop because I'm ok with still having .75" to 1" of rake when unloaded and I know that at minimum I will easily be able to get back to that same rake with my air bags when towing. At least that is my plan. CSS told me my springs will ship in a week. I will install them and report back with how it goes and if the bags work the same for towing. I'm ok being the test subject for this.

Last edited:

Ocxd

Reaction score
I wanted to revive this thread in case anybody else is interested in this. I wanted to level my truck but did not want to raise it more. Reasons for that are it sits plenty high already, I don't want to put bigger tires on it, and It would be nice to have the rear lower for loading. I do tow our RV / Fish house with this truck and it has a 1,200lb hitch weight so I have the Airlift loadlifter 5000 airbag kit on my truck which is great and makes the towing experience much better. That was my first concern with dropping the rear is how it would work with the airbags.

I called Airlift and they said that the airbag itself is designed to be 5-7" on the truck when unloaded. So last night when I got home I took a bunch of measurements. My truck has roughly 2.5" of rake. The bags on my truck are at exactly 5" with no air in them. With the 5lbs they recommend keeping in them it raised 1/8". So with 5lbs in the bags I hooked up my trailer and it drops the rear of my truck about 2" and in turn compressed the bags to 3". That leaves my truck with about .5” of rake still. For towing I'd been running 40lbs in the bags which brings the rear back up 1". So while towing I have 1.5" of rake and the bags are at 4" compression. After talking with the guy at Airlift he agreed that if I lower the rear 1.75" and just make sure to pressurize the bags before hooking up I won't damage them.

I've only towed the trailer once so I don't have the pressure for the bags quite dialed in. But I can air them up 60 more lbs than I did when taking the measurements. I did order 1.75" drop springs keeping the factory load capacity from Coil Spring Specialties. I went with that amount of drop because I'm ok with still having .75" to 1" of rake when unloaded and I know that at minimum I will easily be able to get back to that same rake with my air bags when towing. At least that is my plan. CSS told me my springs will ship in a week. I will install them and report back with how it goes and if the bags work the same for towing. I'm ok being the test subject for this.
Eager to hear how this went. Mine is leveled in the front but I am starting to think the truck is just too high overall. I also tow…

Finn5033

Reaction score
Eager to hear how this went. Mine is leveled in the front but I am starting to think the truck is just too high overall. I also tow…

Take a look at this thread. I posted a summary and some pictures after I did it

Users who are viewing this thread