Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP Research Power Steps

sduncan

Reaction score
I finally got around to getting the Amp steps installed. First I had a black stripe painted along the rockers similar to the factory ones the Power Wagon. This went a long ways in improving the look of the truck in my opinion. So here’s some observations I gathered during the install.

1. Amp has changed the design of the mounting plates in the last year or two. My uncle and I watched the YouTube video of a set being installed and it was a touch different than what we had to do.
2. I went ahead and removed the factory rivnuts right off the bat. You have to be careful about getting them out through the bigger hole. A flexible magnet is very handy.
3. Mounting the reinforcement plates went ok. Just take your time as it’s easy to overdo putting the new rivnuts in.
4. We actually had to take a file and remove a slight amount of material from the front linkage mounts to get one of the mounting bolts in. Not a big deal but I was thinking “really?”.
5. We ran the harnesses to the motors down the body of the truck instead of the frame. There would not be enough wire length to reach the LED lights otherwise. We drilled a few holes and used the Christmas tree type zip ties to make that happen. For some reason, the motors are mounted to the rear linkages instead of the front. I haven’t figured that out yet.
6. Here’s the BIG one. The instructions tell you to locate the green circuit boards that are up under the dash in just about the worst place possible. You are to connect the part of the OBDll harness to one of them. I picked the one facing the front of the truck. We hooked everything up, put the fuse in the harness last as directed and the steps went up and stayed there. You would think that opening the doors would deploy the steps down right? A big no there. It turns out that you have to use the green board that’s the rearward one. So.. I’m having to reach up in there again with my caveman hands and unplug the harness from the forward board and plug it into the rearward one. An hour or so later with blood running down my arm I got it done. I also made sure that the purple wires were connected correctly. After washing the blood off, I put the fuse back in and boom! Everything worked as it was supposed to.

So be advised.. if you’re installing the steps yourself, be damn sure to use the rearward green circuit board. There is nothing in the semi terrible instructions that mentions this at all. Have some of the Christmas tree type zip ties handy. They plug into a 1/4 inch drilled hole and you then zip tie the wiring normally. It makes for a fairly clean installation.
Overall I’m very happy with them at the moment. At least I can get in the damn truck now fairly easy. My current medical conditions have taken most of the “just hop up in there” that I used to have away so I had to do something. Anyway, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I’ll post some pics maybe tomorrow.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights, I keep eyeing a set of these. My understanding is the motors are mounted in the rear to avoid interference with the ANC devices mounted up front on the frame rails.

sduncan

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights, I keep eyeing a set of these. My understanding is the motors are mounted in the rear to avoid interference with the ANC devices mounted up front on the frame rails.
That makes sense for sure. We were looking at it from a standpoint of keeping as much mud, dirt, snow, etc away from them as possible as they are certainly better shielded in the rear than the front. Thanks for your input.

AZCummins

Reaction score
I just did a set of these recently as well, and if I relied only on the provided instructions it would have been rough. Luckily I watched a youtube video for my exact truck the night before and that made it relatively simple. Those rivnuts were a little intimidating because I was convinced I was going to over-tighten one.

I also did quite a bit of reading on the forums and found someone who highly suggested using your bodyweight to bounce up and down on them in the extended position to help them clear the pinch weld. I sort of laughed thinking that method sounded crazy, but sure enough mine were contracting the pinch weld once installed. Instead of breaking out the cuttoff tool to trim the pinch weld, I tried the simple method of bouncing on them a bit and it worked perfectly.

sonart

Reaction score
I just did a set of these recently as well, and if I relied only on the provided instructions it would have been rough. Luckily I watched a youtube video for my exact truck the night before and that made it relatively simple. Those rivnuts were a little intimidating because I was convinced I was going to over-tighten one.

I also did quite a bit of reading on the forums and found someone who highly suggested using your bodyweight to bounce up and down on them in the extended position to help them clear the pinch weld. I sort of laughed thinking that method sounded crazy, but sure enough mine were contracting the pinch weld once installed. Instead of breaking out the cuttoff tool to trim the pinch weld, I tried the simple method of bouncing on them a bit and it worked perfectly.
I going to tackle my install this weekend. Can you link me to the youtube video?

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
Note: The factory air relocation bracket doesn't work on the 2023 gas models. I got that far and had to call AMP to confirm and they said that their website was incorrect and for 2023 6.4 truck with Air suspension they do not have a solution. In hindsight, I could have tried to finish the install with the air tank in place but I did not, they got returned and I went with RC E-Boards.

jenninr

Reaction score
Note: The factory air relocation bracket doesn't work on the 2023 gas models. I got that far and had to call AMP to confirm and they said that their website was incorrect and for 2023 6.4 truck with Air suspension they do not have a solution. In hindsight, I could have tried to finish the install with the air tank in place but I did not, they got returned and I went with RC E-Boards.
The fitment notes on the Rough Country website say that they don't fit with air suspension. Did you have to make any modifications to get them to fit?

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
funny you say that, I just emailed them the other day to let them know that their boards do fit on the 2023 trucks gas 6.4 with factory air. I suspect something changed with the air tank between 2022 and 2023 because the AMP tank relocation kit does not work for 2023 but the RC boards, without a relocation kit, does.

I hadn't seen that when I ordered the boards and I'm glad because I probably would not have bought them. I did absolutely nothing special to install the boards. If you have a 2022 or prior truck, I have no idea if they will fit.

sonart

Reaction score
This is bad news!! I am glad I didn't get started this weekend due to the rain here in SoCal. Looks like the steps are going back.

sonart

Reaction score
This reminds me that when I researched the steps, I concluded that the air tank was not in the way and didn't even order the relocation bracket. Did you confirm it is in the way?

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
This reminds me that when I researched the steps, I concluded that the air tank was not in the way and didn't even order the relocation bracket. Did you confirm it is in the way?
I tried installing the bracket and the bracket does not fit the 2023. There is another piece of equipment mounted to the frame rail just in front of the tank that prevents you from relocating the tank as instructed by AMP. I did not try to install the steps with the tank in the original location. But, to get this far you need to pop rivet and riv-nut the reinforcement mounting brackets in place to mount the motor/bracket before you can mount the step just to see if it clears a tank that AMP says requires relocating.

Did I mention I'm happy with my RC boards that cost $995?

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
I will look into those! Did AMP make you pay the return freight?
I bought through a vendor and he dealt with AMP on the return to make them pay for it, he said it was difficult. If I were in your shoes I would call and ask about the bracket, as if you were going to proceed with the install, maybe play dumb "I just want to make sure I have everything I need to install this on my truck before I get started, can you please confirm that the bracket is the last thing i need to purchase?" At which point you will confirm year make and model and they will tell you that it doesn't fit. Then you tell them that you bought it based on their website informing you that it would fit. "How do I go about getting the return shipping labels to send these boards back?"

sonart

Reaction score
I bought through a vendor and he dealt with AMP on the return to make them pay for it, he said it was difficult. If I were in your shoes I would call and ask about the bracket, as if you were going to proceed with the install, maybe play dumb "I just want to make sure I have everything I need to install this on my truck before I get started, can you please confirm that the bracket is the last thing i need to purchase?" At which point you will confirm year make and model and they will tell you that it doesn't fit. Then you tell them that you bought it based on their website informing you that it would fit. "How do I go about getting the return shipping labels to send these boards back?"
I already started the process. Called customer service told him "the website says it fits, which is why I bought it, and I just read on RAM HD Forum that it doesn't." He confirmed they don't have a bracket for 2023 air ride Hemi and transferred me to returns. I had to leave a voicemail so don't know what they will say yet.

sonart

Reaction score
I went ahead and decided to dry fit the passenger side AMP steps to my 2023 2500 Hemi with air ride. Turns out it fits fine, the air tank is not in the way. I proceeded to complete the step install only to discover that they packed the wrong motors. Took me a couple of hours to figure out it wasn't my inability to line everything up! Worse part is, AMP technical support doesn't work weekends so I have to wait until tomorrow to get them to send me new motors and I'll be without my truck until likely next weekend. Huge bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread