Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Almost a new Ram U connect user question.

BigJim

Reaction score
Just waiting for my new truck to arrive at the dealership. 2021 Ram Tradesman with the 8.4 non-nav Uconnect. I'll be flying several states away to pick it up and then driving it home. It doesn't seem possible to just activate navigation so I"m looking at other means of navigation. I've been reading about using phone apps but with lots of areas not covered I'm wondering if I can pair my Garmin to the Uconnect system to use for navigation?

It's a newer unit with both wifi and bluetooth. Has anyone tried this?

Would it work using the usb port?

Will it display on the 8.4 inch screen?

I really like the Garmin mapping much better then phone apps so I hope where there's a will there's a way!

Go easy on me, I'm new here and pretty close to luddite level when it comes to new tech! I did try using the "search" and "advanced search" but probably don't know the right questions to ask it.

Thanks in advance!!

p.s. After I get the truck home I'm going to bribe my 16 year old nephew to show all this stuff to me, he works cheap, chicken nuggets and a day at the gun range!

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
Once you go google maps, you never go back. Instant traffic updates. Extremely accurate ETA.. always up to date with road closures and changes. Far ahead of any dedicated navigation device. And it integrates with your media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
If you wanted to set up an emulator that would run the Garmin software in an Android ROM with the appropriate firmware, you may eventually get it to display, but based on the Luddite reference, I'm guessing this isn't an option.

That said, as already mentioned above, a phone app, connected through AndroidAuto or CarPlay will be your best "integrated" option.

I'm partial to Waze as opposed to Google Maps, but either should give you a good chance at success, and I think once you get the hang of either, you may no longer prefer the Garmin platform.

The downloading of maps for offline use is a good feature, but also note that once you have your route plugged in and mapped, both apps rely on GPS signal not your typical mobile signal, so having an offline map may not even be an issue.

Since you have a little time, I'd suggest spending a little time getting familiar with one of these apps on your phone prior to your adventure and you should be good to go once the time arrives.

BigJim

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replys! I have used Google maps on my phone a little bit but found the garmin was better suited for me. I like that it shows me pictures of the off and on ramps with guided lines to show which lane I should be in. And the Garmin seems to give me upcoming info a bit farther ahead which has been a huge help in cities that I've not been in before.

But clearly using the Garmin with the dash display isn't going to work. With that said I hope to see my grand-nephew a few more times before I leave so I'm going to see if he can help me with Google maps. He's something called a "gamer" and even makes some money doing it. Smart kid. Maybe I'll see if his parents will let me take him with me?

Honestly I don't even care if my trucks even have radios in them! My current truck has a cassette player in it I only found out last year that it worked! Given that I've had the truck over ten years I guess I should have checked that earlier!! lol

Thanks again everyone! I'm sure I'll be back with, hopefully, less dumb questions!

p.s. I was looking at pictures and it has a knob for shiffting it in gear!!! That's going to take a long time to learn after learning to drive back in the 60's with everything from "3 on the tree" to "6 on the floor". I did once drive a car with push buttons for the gear selector. I thought that was pretty wild!

blbrown

Reaction score
I use Sygic GPS Navigation beta, I think its out of beta now.

BigJim

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into it! If it's on the phone do you think it would display on the trucks larger display?

blbrown

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into it! If it's on the phone do you think it would display on the trucks larger display?
Its the only Navigation app that works with Android Auto besides Google Msps and Waze so far, and stores all the maps on your phone. It works pretty good on my 2020 Ram 2500 with the 8.4 non Nav using Android Auto.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

What advantage does this freemium app have over Google or Waze?

It also seems some paid features don't work on AA. The reviews from purchasers of the premium app don't seem good at all.

BigJim

Reaction score
Ok, I did look into this app and downloaded it to my phone. First problem I have is it insists that where my home is located has the wrong address. I did report it but no change so far. The problem I have with it is I can't enter my home address as my home address, when I do it wants to take me to another location not anywhere near my home. I like the idea of the upgraded features and don't mind paying a few dollars if they're going to work but as of this time I'm going to have to pass. Maybe after they get the bugs out I'll give them another look. It does look promising.

Users who are viewing this thread