Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alignment Question on 2020 Ram 3500 DRW

Lukskywalker

Reaction score
Hello all,
So let me first say I love my Ram and never had an issue with the Alignment, and it just felt right when I drove it alone or towed with it. This winter I noticed some outer wear on my front tires and upon checking I had ball joints that were becoming bad. I brought into a shop, and he replaced both sides upper and lower with Moog's. Well from that day on I drove it a short distance back and forth to the Campground as I Snowbird and usually don't go far when I'm at a all-inclusive resort that has a lot of everything, so I really didn't drive it a lot. Well, when it was time to head home, once I got on the freeway, I noticed my steering was so different. Almost like it was loose and I was working it more keeping in between the lines. Once I got back home I called the shop and wanted to know what he did to it. To my surprise the shop got new owners but was able to look at my records and Owner told me he didnt have a printout of what it was before and after because the previose owner had a broken printer but did tell me the past owner put in offset uppers and fixed lowers (all Moogs), and proceeded to tell me the parts are good for 1 year incase something was wrong with the parts the previous owner installed. So i brought it in for a alignment check up north and discovered my alighnemt was horrible. When I proceeded to ask about my camber the Tech told me there none adjustable according to the manufacture. When I told him what happened and what they told me, it then clicked to him why my Camber is so far off. According to Ram camber stationary should be at .05, which mine is way out.
I'm guessing the Owner installed them wrong, don't even know why he installed offsets uppers, all I know it drive horrible and feels horrible when I'm towing. I also guessing once I connect my fifth wheel my Camber gets even worse if I'm correct due to the weight if I'm correct. Can I get some help or opinions on this please. Below are the specs of the alignment that was done a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 19

dslbrnr

Reaction score
I'm no expert but have adjusted my alignment myself several times after having two shop alignments done. Looking at your printout it seems like your Caster is somewhat high at five degrees positive. Mine is closer to 4 degrees positive. Also the Toe needs to be from 0 degrees positive to max 5 degrees positive according to Thuren Specs. All that can make tires wear bad and the truck handle poorly. Have the next alignment shop set it to these specs or close. Thurens alignment specs https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pages/2014-2022-ram-2500-alignment
As far as the offset ball joints, they may need to be removed and replaced with non offsets ball joints to get your truck back in spec. Hopefully you can find a competent shop that can get it done properly. I feel your pain, nothing worse than driving a poor handling truck

Lukskywalker

Reaction score
I'm no expert but have adjusted my alignment myself several times after having two shop alignments done. Looking at your printout it seems like your Caster is somewhat high at five degrees positive. Mine is closer to 4 degrees positive. Also the Toe needs to be from 0 degrees positive to max 5 degrees positive according to Thuren Specs. All that can make tires wear bad and the truck handle poorly. Have the next alignment shop set it to these specs or close. Thurens alignment specs https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pages/2014-2022-ram-2500-alignment
As far as the offset ball joints, they may need to be removed and replaced with non offsets ball joints to get your truck back in spec. Hopefully you can find a competent shop that can get it done properly. I feel your pain, nothing worse than driving a poor handling truck
Thanks for the advise. Question- most Techs dont know of the alignment button on the center screen (which I believe effects the air ride). Does this procedure need to be done to make it right or not really?

dslbrnr

Reaction score
No clue on the air ride or alignment button, maybe someone here can help with that. I would think being air ride they would align it to the normal ride height
Hopefully you can find a competent alignment shop that has expertise in Ram HD 4WD trucks.
I try and do it all myself if possible, hard to find competent mechanics at times

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What pressure have you been running in the front tires?

The OEM alignment specs are known to wear the outer edges of the front tires, and DRW’s are more susceptible to outer edge wear with the DRW adapters.

How many miles on the truck? Unless something is bent you shouldn’t need offset BJ’s. I’m guessing the tech screwed you, but hard to verify.

Get a set of quality BJ’s installed, not MOOG, and have it aligned to Thuren specs.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Found the info on the Air Ride. The button must be engaged before the alignment.

Yes, but all it does is disable the system during the alignment. There isn’t any reason for the system to make adjustments during an alignment thou, so it shouldn’t have any effect on the outcome.

Lukskywalker

Reaction score
Got to ask. How does the truck ride with the Thuren Alignment (with load and without a load). I asked for it when the guy who replaced my Ball joints and he said he did it and I never got a printout sheet and it drove horrible. Never worked the steering wheel so bad in my life. found out just how bad it was aligned unforcently after I brought it back in to a different Alignment Place and I paid the 175.00 and found out he never did it right, not to mention he put offset Ball Joints which is strong not recommended according to the instructions on the Thuren Spec sheet. Let me know pls.

whitexc

Reaction score
I had my truck set to Thuren specs and while completely stock it drives great, even with aftermarket bags aired up and the 5er in tow.

Sent from me

Riddick

Reaction score
I cant comment on how your offset ball joints will effect your alignment, but I wonder why the shop chose to use them. You seem to be focused on camber which 100% will impact tire wear but generally speaking the truck will still track straight. Toe seems to be the most critical spec to get right on these trucks. The moment my truck drove off the lot I noticed it would wander all over the road and it felt like I was constantly fighting it. I took it back to the dealer and they stated the alignment is within OEM specs and they would not change it. During my first tire rotation I noticed the outer edges of my front tires wearing unevenly. Shortly after I added a 1 in lift on the front and took it to a shop and had the truck aligned to Thuren specs. Using the Thuren specs the truck drove WAY better and I have been a happy camper, front tires are now wearing evenly. I would work with the shop and see if they can get the alignment right, you may end having to swap out those offset ballpoints and get another alignment. I hope everything works out for you, keep us posted.

Lukskywalker

Reaction score
What pressure have you been running in the front tires?

The OEM alignment specs are known to wear the outer edges of the front tires, and DRW’s are more susceptible to outer edge wear with the DRW adapters.

How many miles on the truck? Unless something is bent you shouldn’t need offset BJ’s. I’m guessing the tech screwed you, but hard to verify.

Get a set of quality BJ’s installed, not MOOG, and have it aligned to Thuren specs.
When I am empty and not pulling my fifth wheel, I put the fronts at 60psi and rears at 55psi. Got 60k miles on my truck and YES the previous tech F'd me. My redlight BS indicator was screaming at me when he told me his printer was broke and didn't have a printout for me. A shop I will never ever go back to and recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread