Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirLift Cradle Mounting

jake_eizy

Reaction score
I have a 2018 ram 2500 with icon suspension. I installed some airlift 500s to offset the sag when I pull the horses and boat. However I want to maintain off road capabilities so I got the universal AirLift cradles. I went to install them today and realized there is no way to mount the cradle with out drilling into the welded bump stop box on top of the rear axle.

Has any one installed these on their truck and how did they mount them? My two thoughts are to either punch a hole into the box with a cobalt bit and use a self tapping bolt or use a rivet nut. I figure since there is no force pulling up on the cradle there is no need for it to be secured overly tight. A rivet nut tool may be challenging to fit between the top and bottom of the bump stop. Any advice would be appreciated before I drill into it.

Attachments

• IMG_4100.jpg
    IMG_4100.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
On my 19 one side of the mounting area was open. I guess earlier trucks are different. If you were to hole saw a circle big enough to get a open end wrench in there I wouldnt see it as a issue. Probably a good thing to be able to wash salt and sand out if that was a concern. I’d do it on the back side.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Center it with the Bag on the Pad. Center Punch it and Drill and Tap. Pretty easy.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Raise and lower the Bag with the Cradle loosely in Place. Move it around to find exact location. Should be close to Center.

jake_eizy

Reaction score
Actually, it seems I may have not fully read the instructions. From this image it looks like they should mount directly to the carriage bolt bottom plate. Not sure how I overlooked that as I pulled the lower bag pan, plate, and bolts off yesterday. Will give it another go this afternoon.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 7.42.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 7.42.55 AM.png
    844.5 KB · Views: 31

DougB

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread. I just ordered Air lift 89289 5000lb kit for my 2500 and now am debating cradles. Truck is a pavement princess only towing 36’ TT 4-6 times a year but considering the cradles to avoid any issues when serviced on a lift, etc.

Was debating between Daystar and the Air Lift universal cradles (52500). Don’t see much difference between them other than mounting style. Daystars don’t use the bottom plate so there’s that much more “travel” for the bags which I think would be better route. Price is nearly same between the two options.

Last edited:

jake_eizy

Reaction score
I just installed the AirLift universal cradles. I mounted the cradled to the base plate and removed the circular pan on the bottom of the bag. In order for them to fit I had to shave down some of the outer lip of the cradle to fit over the carriage bolt heads and spacer(?) bolt head. No need to drill into the rear axle bump stop box.

Attachments

• IMG_4104.jpg
    IMG_4104.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread