Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air bags for inside rear coils on a 2500

Finn5033

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been looking for a while this morning and can't find anything on this. I used to use airlift 1000hd helper bags on my Ram 1500's. I've had the airlift 5000 set up on a truck before as well. My current bumper pull trailer has a 1,200 hitch weight and while I don't really need to use anything with it I like having that little help to minimize the rear squat. I definitely don't need the 5000 kit. I called airlift and they don't make any bags big enough for the rear coils on the 2500. Does anybody know if someone makes a helper bag big enough to work inside the rear coils? From what I found our rear coils are about 6.75" ID. The length is around 17" but I don't know what they are as the truck sits. I am picking the truck up Saturday so I could measure the sitting length then. As I said I don't technically need anything so I don't want to buy the 5000 kit. But if I can find a bag to fit inside the coil I'd get them. Thank you for any help

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
skip those bags inside the coils...get the correct ones for the 2500...you may not want to buy them but thats whats going to be best for your setup....the manual fill bags arent that expensive and since they mount outboard of the coils it helps with sway a little....

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
skip those bags inside the coils...get the correct ones for the 2500...you may not want to buy them but thats whats going to be best for your setup....the manual fill bags arent that expensive and since they mount outboard of the coils it helps with sway a little....

Exactly, there aren't really any good reasons to run a bag inside the coils on the HD trucks.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
The inboard placement of the coils is really the issue, they’re plenty stout/stiff to hold a load. A set of bags, which mount further outboard will help significantly with sway and side to side rocking motion. And of course will bring up the rear if it’s sagging a bit (unlike the airsprings inside the coils).

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I did sumo springs because I didn’t feel like doing airbags and cradles. It was an ok compromise. Air bags would’ve worked well, too

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve never liked the airlift kits. I’ve had fantastic luck with Firestone, but I’d probably go with Timber Grove today. The PacBrake kits looks pretty good too.

Finn5033

Reaction score
Never heard of pac brake or timbergrove. I’ll check those out. That’s why I live these forums. Thanks guys

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a used airlift on my 04.5 for 16 years. Not sure how old it was when I bought it second hand, couple years maybe?

I only repalced it with a stainless version after the roll p[lates started to rust and deform. Deform was my fault for overloading them with 2 pallets of landcape wall blocks.

Only regret was I did that 6 months before ordering the 2020, as they'd been ordered a year prior and never installed, and not knowing I was going to upgrade trucks at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread