Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air bag valve placement?

wrvond

Reaction score
So, I've got the bags themselves installed and looking good. I'm ready to run the air lines to the rear bumper but thought I'd draw on the pool of experience here first.
So those that have installed the Schrader valves on the bumper, where did you put them?
I've considered replacing the license plate screws with the valves, but not convinced that's the best idea. I'm thinking the two square holes below the tailgate would be best, as long as there's no interference with the tailgate.

Thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-10-31 140926.jpg

wrvond

Reaction score
Mine is in my fuel door area.....if you want other ideas ...

I considered that as well. Many years ago I installed a set of these bags on my 2012 F250. I tried to route the tubing to the fuel fill but that didn't go so well.
The little square on the bumper was an attractive spot but once I pulled it out I could see it didn't really have the real estate available to support two Schrader valves.
I ended up mounting them to the bumper, but underneath in the black plastic part that holds the assist sensors, with one on each side. This allowed me to run the tubing down the inside of the frame and straight out to the valve(s) with a minimum number of bends. If, at some point, I decide I don't like them there, the holes left behind will only be visible by laying on the ground under the truck. Plus, being plastic, there's no potential for rust to form around the drilled hole.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 172921.jpg

wrvond

Reaction score
Smart..I used the bottom holes in the rear plate, on the old Bronco.

I investigated using the license plate and did remove it. The bottom holes won't work because that's where the plastic part of the bumper attaches to the metal part. Plus there's a lot of webbing on the backside in that area. I would have had to drill out the holes in the license plate and I was concerned there might be interference issues with the spare tire. If they had 90° Schrader valves, it would be a lot easier to install in many places.

Darkone

Reaction score
I always liked having mine in the license plate for ease of knowing which bag I was checking. Also helps with plate theft if it’s a problem in your area.

On my 08 I had plenty of room to make a bend from the license plate and run the lines through the frame to each bag. This is actually my plan for my 21 when I go to order bags for it.

wrvond

Reaction score
I placed mine by the fuel door, and a t behind it guaranteeing equal pressure to each bag
On my old (2012) F250 I used a 'T' with single fill, but that truck had leaf springs and the bags were installed to overcome sag. The purpose of the bags on this truck is to increase stability - especially in turns or due to wind. If I used a single 'T' the action of the truck rolling could force air from the heavy side bag to the light side bag, which would do nothing to increase stability. By keeping them separate, the air in the heavy side (downward pressure) has nowhere to go so will maintain support, while the light side will tend to create a slight vacuum which will help reduce the lifting action of that side.
How pronounced these effects are is anybody's guess, but I figure the inconvenience of having to fill through two valves is mitigated by at least some increased performance.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
On my old (2012) F250 I used a 'T' with single fill, but that truck had leaf springs and the bags were installed to overcome sag. The purpose of the bags on this truck is to increase stability - especially in turns or due to wind. If I used a single 'T' the action of the truck rolling could force air from the heavy side bag to the light side bag, which would do nothing to increase stability. By keeping them separate, the air in the heavy side (downward pressure) has nowhere to go so will maintain support, while the light side will tend to create a slight vacuum which will help reduce the lifting action of that side.
How pronounced these effects are is anybody's guess, but I figure the inconvenience of having to fill through two valves is mitigated by at least some increased performance.
Its 1/4” line with a low flow rate so you wont see any big change in pressures going around corners even then you could add restrictor valves to further slow the air transfer. I have mine Tee’d off and they are perfectly stable even with a top heavy 2500lbs load going on winding mountain passes. Any time you add a compressor unless its a dual zone you have to Tee the bags.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I used to feel that lean going around curves at speed in a big truck so anytime I bagged a pickup, I always ran separate lines and fillers for that reason. If I were going to tee the lines together, some kind of a flow restrictor (orifice) sounds like a good idea.

Some folks might not notice it depending on what they're hauling or towing, weights, etc.

DougB

Reaction score
I placed mine to the left of license plate. My truck has the rear trailer camera plug there so put them below that. Had to cut out access hole in the inner plastic behind the plastic outer skin.

2F90C22E-3822-433A-BC71-63B7FA03382A.jpeg

F4BF3DC4-1076-452F-9EE4-1FA2E39E485F.jpeg

FC9ABAAD-0F4E-4689-9093-54A7A6A16AB9.jpeg

3EF5BD14-8F44-4BB3-AF6D-2AD86FBA8F51.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread