Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7-Pin trailer wiring colors

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
Double checking everything before towing with my new 2021 3500. I have never really paid attention to the trailer wiring, just purchased my cargo trailer a few years ago, hooked it up to the '04, and drove away.

Before towing it with the new truck, I realized that the trailer 7-pin had the old style of spade connector. I ordered a new connector that meets the new SAE standard specified by Mopar and started looking over the 4 different wiring standards. Am I correct that the only difference between all of the standards is just the color of the wires? It looks like the pinouts are always the same, just the color changes between SAE standard and RV standard on the truck side, and standard and RV standard on the trailer side. I can't find the pinouts for the new trucks 7 pin adapter, so I will just test each pin before hooking to the trailer. I could be just over-thinking this, but I'm trying to treat the new truck with new, pristine trailer connections.

This is what I'm using for reference right now:

Attachments

• Screenshot (268).png
    Screenshot (268).png
    776.5 KB · Views: 22

matski

Reaction score
The 7 pin on my 2004 trailer worked on my 05, 15, and now my 21 Rams without any problems.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I think I'm not asking the question clearly. I was just trying to clarify that the only difference between the four wiring standards are the color of the wires and nothing more.

Thanks anyway for the reply's.

Users who are viewing this thread