Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 8 speed ZF transmission service?

Vapor567

Reaction score
Since stellantis builds the transmission on their own as a torqueflite 8HP75, it’s their bat and ball on what they want to recommend for service. If there’s any powertrain warranty, or a max care warranty, I would be leery about changing it, because if there was a transmission warranty claim, I can see that leaving the door wide open for them to say “service is not required, looks like someone tried to service this, and didn’t do it right, and that’s why there’s transmission issues- claim denied”.
As far as the fluid, ZF has their own, which is rebranded by whatever vehicle manufacturer uses it (mopar part number, etc), and they’ll never certify another oil manufacturer’s product, making people feel like that’s the only fluid that can be used. Valvoline Max Life exceeds their fluid specs, and most people use that, and there’s eco diesel hot shot drivers that are using it for 500,000+ miles.
This is where I think it's a gray area. ZF says if towing a lot to do the service at 50k, the Ram truck manual says you don't ever change the fluids. Little miscommunication there and hopefully no one has had a warranty issue regarding this. I absolutely am blown away how smooth this transmission is for a 3/4 ton truck, like butter.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is where I think it's a gray area. ZF says if towing a lot to do the service at 50k, the Ram truck manual says you don't ever change the fluids. Little miscommunication there and hopefully no one has had a warranty issue regarding this. I absolutely am blown away how smooth this transmission is for a 3/4 ton truck, like butter.
In reality unless there is an internal electrical issue many people go the lifetime of their truck and tranny with the same fluid and filter

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Agree, I've never used a dealer service center for anything, was just posting a dealer cost for parts initially. Looks like you can order the entire assembly and fluid for around $350. My local independent shop said if I brought the pan and fluids it would be about about $150 for labor. So, in my case I'll be able to do a complete transmission service for around $500 which isn't that bad in my opinion and I'll just do them every 50k.
That's pretty damned reasonable...

G’Dave

Reaction score
In reality unless there is an internal electrical issue many people go the lifetime of their truck and tranny with the same fluid and filter

I’m just shy of 160,000 miles (over 250,000 km) - tranny has never been touched. No check engine lights, no mechanical issues. My truck is a 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. We tow a 7x14 enclosed trailer for week warrior stuff (dirt bikes and camping).

Note - I run an engine and transmission tune from Green Diesel Engineering in Detroit. According to their website, it’s FCA approved and EPA compliant. This probably has no effect on the fluid, but wanted to put it out there for transparency.

I’m looking forward to getting the big Hemi, and the last thing on my mind at this stage is the transmission. I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vapor567

Reaction score
I keep my trucks well over 200k miles. I think the average owner is looking for a new payment after 4-5 years so yes agree, but I'm keeping this one for a very long time. I tow 11k lbs frequently so will definitely be servicing it before 100k. If I didn't tow a lot I wouldn't even worry about it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I keep my trucks well over 200k miles. I think the average owner is looking for a new payment after 4-5 years so yes agree, but I'm keeping this one for a very long time. I tow 11k lbs frequently so will definitely be servicing it before 100k. If I didn't tow a lot I wouldn't even worry about it.
Im not talking the average person buying new im talking the people who drive their vehicles in to the ground as a mechanic i would see tons of farmers and long haul guys run the life of the vehicle on the same fluid which they worked hard, the most i have personally seen on original fluid was 540,000miles not recommending it in any way for normal trans trucks but i have no doubt the ZF would out last the hemi on original fluid

Vapor567

Reaction score
Im not talking the average person buying new im talking the people who drive their vehicles in to the ground as a mechanic i would see tons of farmers and long haul guys run the life of the vehicle on the same fluid which they worked hard, the most i have personally seen on original fluid was 540,000miles not recommending it in any way for normal trans trucks but i have no doubt the ZF would out last the hemi on original fluid
Well that's nice news to hear! Do you know by chance why the ZF fluid is yellowish green? I've only ever seen reddish trans fluid. Just wondering if it's a completely different type of fluid they use or what that's about?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well that's nice news to hear! Do you know by chance why the ZF fluid is yellowish green? I've only ever seen reddish trans fluid. Just wondering if it's a completely different type of fluid they use or what that's about?
Its a special fluid, there are a few different trans fluic colors, some Mercedes had a blue fluid

jadmt

Reaction score
I have had more that one person tell me they only ever had tranny problems after changing tranny fluid..I have been driving since the early 70's and the only vehicles I have changed tranny fluid on is my 2016 honda because it has a stupid cvt and the mileage minder tells you it needs to be changed around 45-52000 miles is what most people are seeing. I changed at 45K and sure as **** at 52000 my mileage minder said it is time. i won't change it in my Ram...because I will never keep it past the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread