Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Wheel Tow

Rcokermdv

Reaction score
New to Ram - so I am a little confused about tow weight limitations. Most of the other manufacturers provide two tables - one for tag along and one for 5th wheel.

All I can find for Ram is a single table or listing that provides only one weight.

Is that correct? It doesn't matter how you tow, it's simply one weight restriction?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I believe when you get to the higher weights, it says in the manual, gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch required.

Rcokermdv

Reaction score
Understand. However, still confused as to just a single weight restriction regardless of how you attach (tag along/5th wheel). If it's a single weight limitation for the vehicle that's fine - just trying to clear it up in my head.

Thanks

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Understand. However, still confused as to just a single weight restriction regardless of how you attach (tag along/5th wheel). If it's a single weight limitation for the vehicle that's fine - just trying to clear it up in my head.

Thanks
May I suggest you log into connect acct and all info for your specific vehicle is there. I just did on mine and it lists your specific payload capacity, towing and GCWR. That said, the weakest link in the chain is what ultimately determines overall capacity. Hitch ratings, tires, axles, etc. All these items are rated. If your trailer ball is a 7500lb ball, that’s your limit. If the hitch was 5000lb, that would be your limit. That’s why we get the “when properly equipped” message everywhere there is payload and towing info. Try not to overthink it too much, it really is just checking the boxes on what your equipment is. Hopefully, I helped and didn’t confuse you any further, god knows, I am easily confused.

CdnHO

Reaction score
regardless of trailer type Ram publishes a max trailer weight for a specific truck depending on configuration such as model, engine, rear axle ratio, etc. However when it comes to a fifth wheel, the payload is of the truck is really important as the actual pin weight (use the loaded pin weight) eats into the payload really fast. That is why most fifth wheels of any size really need a 3500 as these have a much higher payload. Payload is not as big a factor with a tag along. With my fifth wheel, even though I have a dually with max tow package, my pin weight is pushing close to the max payload limit of five thousand pounds. Of course that assumes hitch setup of a proper rating as well.

Users who are viewing this thread