Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 wheel shift message

Swamp rabbit

Reaction score
I have a 2015 3500 srw, 4 x 4, and when I hit a bump, I get a message saying it's shifting into 4 wheel drive. It's a shift lever and I've replaced the bushings and the rod with o.e.m. parts, and it's still happening. If I spray the bushings with w.d.-40, it goes away for a while. Have also adjusted the linkage rod back and forth. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nd79

Reaction score
I have a 2015 3500 srw, 4 x 4, and when I hit a bump, I get a message saying it's shifting into 4 wheel drive. It's a shift lever and I've replaced the bushings and the rod with o.e.m. parts, and it's still happening. If I spray the bushings with w.d.-40, it goes away for a while. Have also adjusted the linkage rod back and forth. Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I had this same problem on my 2017 3500 srw 4x4 Cummins with the 68rfe transmission. It would show "4WD shift in progress" when going over bumps. Mine was also the floor shift transfer case.

The problem was the 4wd transfer case switch which sits on top of the transfer case close to the 4wd shifter linkage. It's a plunger type switch and I replaced that with one purchased at a ram dealer for about $80 if I remember correctly. That solved the problem and I haven't had the problem in that truck since.

The frustrating part was we took it in for this while under warranty and the dealer couldn't figure out this simple and intuitive fix once you realize what it is.

Nd79

Reaction score
This is what it looks like. You'll need to make sure it matches your transfer case/transmission combo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-170845.png
    Screenshot_20210727-170845.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 10

Swamp rabbit

Reaction score
Don't recall if I saw a switch up there. Not sure what tran I have. I do have the 6.4 hemi. Hopefully it's an easy fix like that

Users who are viewing this thread