Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 Thuren .5” coils and Carli add a pack Install

BikePilot

Reaction score
Really happy with my decision on the .5” springs and Fox 2.0s it is much better on big bumps. With the add a pack it’s taken the harshness out but might be throwing the airbags back in to help with my tongue heavy toyhauler unloaded.Eventually I might go 18s and metric 35s but hard to justify when the truck came with the black wheels already just wish they weren’t 20s.
Nice! I just have Bilstein shocks right now to hold me over while the Kings get built. I also did the Thuren sway bar, track bar, and boogie bumps at the same time. I'm a fan of small wheels and big tires. Rides great and gives more squish off road before damaging wheels. Plenty of floating size tires with good weight ratings as well. My 37s are rated for about 4k lbs/tire.

Scooter29

Reaction score
Nice! I just have Bilstein shocks right now to hold me over while the Kings get built. I also did the Thuren sway bar, track bar, and boogie bumps at the same time. I'm a fan of small wheels and big tires. Rides great and gives more squish off road before damaging wheels. Plenty of floating size tires with good weight ratings as well. My 37s are rated for about 4k lbs/tire.
Front boogie bumps may be my next purchase. 37s aren’t practical for me so once the stock tires wear out I’ll look for some 18s.

Scooter29

Reaction score
Pulled the toyhauler today for a test run with all the new suspension parts before a coming up camping trip. When hooked up center hub to fender measurements are pretty even front and back.

Towing with the add a pack isn’t any softer when loaded down with a lot of tongue weight as the spring pack is spread out and then acting like the overload. With a lighter load I think it would feel softer but my toyhauler empty is just really tongue heavy. So overall think I’m good with how it levels out with the extra sag from the add a pack. Possibly looking at Sumo Springs Rebel model that’s two separate pieces.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Pulled the toyhauler today for a test run with all the new suspension parts before a coming up camping trip. When hooked up center hub to fender measurements are pretty even front and back.

Towing with the add a pack isn’t any softer when loaded down with a lot of tongue weight as the spring pack is spread out and then acting like the overload. With a lighter load I think it would feel softer but my toyhauler empty is just really tongue heavy. So overall think I’m good with how it levels out with the extra sag from the add a pack. Possibly looking at Sumo Springs Rebel model that’s two separate pieces.
Are you opting to not run the airbags in the rear then?

Scooter29

Reaction score
Yes as of now not going to run them, they’re actually for sale still ha. With hub to fender measuring even I’m comfortable and after getting weights with my WDH it’s pretty good, and felt good driving. And my WDH is actually not rated for how much tongue weight I have so a more stout one might even transfer more weight and help a little on the sag.IMG_6809.jpegIMG_6815.jpeg

Scooter29

Reaction score
Ok so decided to try out some Sumo Rebels to soften the loaded ride and hoped they’d help with a little bit of the squat. I think the 1” I’m getting from the Carli Add a Pack is spacing the Sumos too far and they don’t engage soon enough. Sumo only had a 2” spacer on their site and I’d need a 1”. Maybe I could make a spacer.

Hooked to the trailer and bouncing on the bumper the rear does move more as before it was little to no movement. Going to tow tomorrow to drop the trailer off at the motorcross track for Pro motorcross this weekend. Will see if it’s smoother towing and decide whether I keep them or maybe go back to bags or the stock overload and a 1” block.

Unloaded after install
IMG_6897.jpeg
Hooked up to trailer.
IMG_6900.jpegIMG_6903.jpeg

Scooter29

Reaction score
So after my tow with the sumos yesterday I’ve got my airbags back in and will compare the empty and towing ride this week and weekend. I posted more in the sump post I made but thought I’d let you know as you were asking about the bags. Got them in and tested for leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_6947.jpeg
    IMG_6947.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 16

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
I have the bags in mine with the 1 inch spacer and the Carli mini pack. I think the spacer is too much, but I'll decide after I type this weekend.

Scooter29

Reaction score
I have the bags in mine with the 1 inch spacer and the Carli mini pack. I think the spacer is too much, but I'll decide after I type this weekend.
Ok ya spacer then squishes the bags back together. We’ll see after we both tow this weekend. Only downside on mine is the downtravel limit and potential to damage the bags. Cradles are an option but they also add like 3/4” that’s then squishing the bags together more. Carli long travel bags are tempting but pricey.

Scooter29

Reaction score
@cj8rockcrawler So on my 3hr trip home towing I started off with 20psi then went to 30psi in my airbags. Large bumps or expansion joints seemed to be a little smoother than no load support at all. I do like the adjustability of air bags just don’t want to negate the ride benefit of the add a pack. I’m all over the road with deciding what to do. I’ve even thought of putting the overload leaf bag in with the 1” blocks and not worry about it at all. If I stick with sumos id add a 1” bump stop spacer and then have to trim the sumo so it’s not engaged unloaded. With the airbags I already have so costs me nothing I could add cradles and have full downtravel and articulation.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you look at it differently, but to me the add-a-pack is for empty driving and the airbags are for loaded driving. Best of both worlds, as I see it providing the best ride empty and loaded. The sumo’s seem counterintuitive to that, even thou they are amazing on the front of my truck I’m not sure I’d ever consider them for the rear axle.

Scooter29

Reaction score
Maybe you look at it differently, but to me the add-a-pack is for empty driving and the airbags are for loaded driving. Best of both worlds, as I see it providing the best ride empty and loaded. The sumo’s seem counterintuitive to that, even thou they are amazing on the front of my truck I’m not sure I’d ever consider them for the rear axle.
That’s how I’m looking at the add a pack air bag combo and what I’m trying to get out of it, I just don’t want when the rear hits a big bump and the add a pack is smooth engagement vs the overload that the air bags build up pressure internal and create resistance. I may be thinking way to far into it. My unloaded freeway drive 3hrs felt fine. I do pull valve stems and drain the bags empty at ride height then reinsert them. So whatever internal air is left vs 5psi like most.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You’re overthinking it.

The bags need 5 psi minimum to not get damaged, so don’t pull the valve cores out. Air bags at the proper pressure are a smooth engagement, they usually only get a bad reputation from being overinflated.

You will feel a bigger change in ride quality from 5 psi too much in the tires than you will from 5 psi on empty bags.

Scooter29

Reaction score
You’re overthinking it.

The bags need 5 psi minimum to not get damaged, so don’t pull the valve cores out. Air bags at the proper pressure are a smooth engagement, they usually only get a bad reputation from being overinflated.

You will feel a bigger change in ride quality from 5 psi too much in the tires than you will from 5 psi on empty bags.
I agree and it’s making more sense now with this set up. Last piece is to measure the bag extension to see if I need some spacers from timber grove to not damage the bags at full extension if I don’t get cradles. Emailed Steve and he gave me a measurement to check. Thanks again for the input .

Scooter29

Reaction score
Well talked to Steve at Timber Grove and the airbags are safe at full travel of the rear with the Carli add a packs. So no worries on over extending. Love the customer service from him and these quality bags.
IMG_7117.jpeg
IMG_7121.jpegIMG_7122.jpegIMG_7116.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread