Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 gas vs 2500 gas

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I dont know how it is there but here every truck is considered commercial but if its for personal use there is a sticker that goes on the plate and if you actually use it for commercial then you need to get a commercial registration (CVOR)

In California, every truck has a commercial plate. There are a few things you can do to it to get regular plates. CA charges you by the weight rating. 3/4 ton is a $200 weight fee. 1 tone is more and so on....

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
In California, every truck has a commercial plate. There are a few things you can do to it to get regular plates. CA charges you by the weight rating. 3/4 ton is a $200 weight fee. 1 tone is more and so on....
Anything to get more of your money. Car, truck, trailer all mine are $25 here yearly

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 2500 i am at 265$ annually depending what i register my weight at (recreational is not counted) my dually is 500$ annually registered to 6500kg payload….

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
My 2500 i am at 265$ annually depending what i register my weight at (recreational is not counted) my dually is 500$ annually registered to 6500kg payload….
My 2500 was just over $900 this year. At least it went down a little.

erik53

Reaction score
Regarding brakes on the HD, I get it that with only 4 small patches of rubber on the road, and increased weight, it will take longer to stop the HD truck. Still, I am a bit surprised that so much effort is needed to push the brake pedal. I would have expected losing the grip sooner, with more modest pedal pressure.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Regarding brakes on the HD, I get it that with only 4 small patches of rubber on the road, and increased weight, it will take longer to stop the HD truck. Still, I am a bit surprised that so much effort is needed to push the brake pedal. I would have expected losing the grip sooner, with more modest pedal pressure.
Bigger brakes stopping a bigger load take more effort

erik53

Reaction score
BTW, I assume that the HD's come with anti-lock braking systems, as lighter vehicles have for years....
Has anyone heard about anti-lock braking systems being integrated to include the trailer brakes?

Wileykid

Reaction score
BTW, I assume that the HD's come with anti-lock braking systems, as lighter vehicles have for years....
Has anyone heard about anti-lock braking systems being integrated to include the trailer brakes?

Not sure there is any vehicle currently made that does not have anti-lock brakes, fed mandate (may not on a specialized vehicle).

Last edited:

Huntet02

Reaction score
Very little weight difference between the 2500/3500, they are basically the same truck with different rear springs. In the Hemi you should see no visible difference in mpg between the 2, they will both be horrible Lol.

This is the truth—I was going to order the 3500, just stiffer leaf springs. I ended up having to get 2500 gas, we are at 8-10mpg but it pulls a tractor

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Brakes are fine, your just not used to driving a 8000lb truck.

I went from a 2019 1500 cc laramie 4x4 6.4 bed 5.7 with 3.21 gears. The truck was fantastic. I loved everything about it. My wife used to love riding in it because she said it was like being on a couch. But the suspension, great as it was for unloaded travel, was to soft for my taste. Our travel trailer was close the limit in weight over all. When I found out I could get 6k$ more for my truck than what I paid for it new, I took advantage and upgraded to a 22 2500 CTS crew cab laramie with a 6.4 bed, 3.73 limited slip rear end. When I first drove my 2500, I was surprised at how soft the brakes were compared to my half ton 5th gen. But as I got used to them, it feels normal now.

WildBill138

Reaction score
Yes but there is a servo to supply the effort, so I shouldn't have to!?
Trucks used for for heavy things are literally made for drivers that are used to heavy things.
Pedals are made for boots that wouldnt even fit in my nissan and if you shut the door hard as needed on the HD it would shatter the Nissan Zs window. Not exagerating.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I actually prefer the dynamic braking, I absolutely would hate grabby brakes when towing/hauling.

G’Dave

Reaction score
Somebody said that for a 1 ton here in AZ, it would have to be registered as commercial, and as a result of that, I would be stopped for checks and would have to go into weigh stations along the roads. I called up the MVD and asked. Yes, I would be registered as commercial, and this would add a little to the registration cost. Didn't sound too bad. But I was told to not consider myself commercial on the road, and I should just sail past those spots where a sign says "commercial vehicles stay in the right hand lane for the next 5 miles" and you drive past a stack of cameras etc. I forgot to ask if the plates wiill say "commercial vehicle" or something else that might draw the attention of inspectors elsewhere on the road.

I have a buddy in AZ with a Ram 3500 DRW. He pulls a TH 5er all over the country, and has personalized plates. No commercial vehicle requirements…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread