Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.0 Duramax

jetrinka

Reaction score
My wife and I are in need of a larger vehicle and have been considering either a Suburban or Yukon XL. The 5.3 and 6.2 have been around in some form or another for years and years now and other than direct injection (I just don't care for it on gas engines....) and lifter/pushrod issues (found a pushrod bent at a 20 degree angle once on a 5.3 - no apparent reason.... scary....) they don't seem to be very problematic.

The 3.0 Duramax seems to have been received well though. The torque numbers are great and people generally seem to think they're reliable. A few issues early on with a crank no start that seems to be resolved with a software update.

Just seeing if anyone on here has any experience with the engine. Like it? Dislike it? The vehicle in general? Transmission?

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
We were looking at the same thing last year. Decided to wait a couple more years then updated wifey’s ride. But the diesel Tahoe was our favorite.

Side note: when I was growing up my dad always wanted a diesel suburban. He had the 7.4L 2500, but wish they made a diesel version of it.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Just discovered something scary about the 3.0 Duramax... Apparently the oil pump is driven by a belt. A belt that's oil bathed. A belt that's oil bathed and who's access resides behind the main rear engine cover in between the engine and transmission........

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
I believe the belt does not need changing until 200,000+ miles. Unless you’re keeping the vehicle for atleast 10+ years. It’s a moot point. Never read of any issues with the belt other than when time to change. The transmission needs to be dropped to gain access to the belt.

Should not deter you from purchasing.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I believe the belt does not need changing until 200,000+ miles. Unless you’re keeping the vehicle for atleast 10+ years. It’s a moot point. Never read of any issues with the belt other than when time to change. The transmission needs to be dropped to gain access to the belt.

Should not deter you from purchasing.
Simplicity drives many of my decisions. Also usually drive my vehicles until the wheels come off. Things like that belt design are a serious turn off - taking too many lessons from European car designers…

NC Rebel

Reaction score
My friend has the 3.0 Duramax in his half ton with over 100K miles and loves it. He claims that it has never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
They're just like any other engine, many guys have had no issues and dearly love them, a few have had major problems. The oil pump belt has long been a topic of heated discussion. I think when it came out the recommended service interval on it was 100k miles but then it proved to be capable of many more miles so GM raised the service interval to 150K if I'm not mistaken. Could be wrong but I know they extended the interval after the first few years due to good perforrmance. ****ty design, but it is what it is at this point.

A good friend of mine has one and tows a 10k 31ft 5er with it and loves it. I believe he reports 30mpg empty. Towing though he doesn't do much better than the 6.6. He's working it pretty hard but it's been taking the beating well.

Users who are viewing this thread