Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22’ 3500 - First Diesel Impressions (5th wheel coming)

Evoking

Reaction score
Picked up a new 22 DRW 3500 Laramie 6.7 today! First diesel (other than E-class LOL). Drove it 280 of the 750 miles home today. I was expecting the firm ride to get tiring but surprisingly it is quite comfortable after hours behind the wheel.

Super impressed to average over 20 mpg so far on this first trip.

Next week we pick up a toy hauler with 15.5k dry weight and huge payload resulting in a 20k GVWR. My DRW has a max tow of 19,680 and payload of 5542 (which is more than enough for 3k pin). If we max the 5th wheel we would be about 320 lbs over max tow. But since we have 3 small kids, are not hauling heavy toys and of course won’t run with full tanks we will likely be under 18.5k. Didn’t want to get HO for 300 lbs, so went for the added benefit of MPG and smooth shifting…

Anyone have experience towing close to 20k with DRW 6.7, 3.73. How did it perform?
Also, any advice for a new owner?

E524A4F4-EDCA-4EDF-9040-B9DF15998B8B.jpeg

Last edited:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Who said Aisin isn't smooth? I didn't notice. Mpg - yes.
Advice: I don't remember the number but you shouldn't tow anything for the 1st XXX miles, there's a break in period for the gears to set. Find out what the number is and make sure you have at least that much before picking up your 5er.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.

500 miles for ring gear wear in. Then work it, work it good. (don't whip it).

Tires are probably rock hard (too hard). Dropping pressures when you're not towing will improve the ride, but may hit your mileage some.

superjoe83

Reaction score
I didn't realize the SO trucks were so low on trailer tow capacity, my 3.73 DRW tows my 20k toyhauler great, but I have the HO, your truck should do fine except on the bigger hills.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I didn't realize the SO trucks were so low on trailer tow capacity, my 3.73 DRW tows my 20k toyhauler great, but I have the HO, your truck should do fine except on the bigger hills.
68RFE limitation, it couldn't handle as much load as aisin. My HO SRW can tow up to 24k lbs after which I would basically run out or SRW payload (3800+ lbs) to handle a heavier trailer.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
It'll be fine. I've towed a lot more with less power than your SO. Not much less, but less.

Just one question though, why are you asking now, after you bought the new truck?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have towed 20k with my 19 2500 its a pleasure to tow power wise you will be more than fine

Evoking

Reaction score
Who said Aisin isn't smooth? I didn't notice. Mpg - yes.
Advice: I don't remember the number but you shouldn't tow anything for the 1st XXX miles, there's a break in period for the gears to set. Find out what the number is and make sure you have at least that much before picking up your 5er.
Good to know. I saw a couple videos that referenced aisin not being as smooth. But gas mileage and overkill were was top considerations.

Welcome.

500 miles for ring gear wear in. Then work it, work it good. (don't whip it).

Tires are probably rock hard (too hard). Dropping pressures when you're not towing will improve the ride, but may hit your mileage some.

Yep, won’t be towing until after probably 1k mikes and first oil change.

It'll be fine. I've towed a lot more with less power than your SO. Not much less, but less.

Just one question though, why are you asking now, after you bought the new truck?

Thanks for the firsthand experience; which is also what I repeatedly heard. Didn’t post until now because was also looking at GMC and search was my friend. Also talking to other RV’ers.

Now that I’m a new owner, I especially welcome any/all advice and tips!

Next week I plan to add tonneau cover, stainless running boards which I know there are tons of options. I usually start with the most most popular and tried ones and welcome any suggestions. I have B&W Companion hitch coming in Monday.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I hadn’t realized a SO 3.73 or 4.10 DRW could tow less than a HO SRW. It’s doubtful you ever see enough of a mileage increase to justify intentionally not getting the HO, especially when you will be towing a heavy trailer. The Aisin shifts very smooth, and is a much tougher transmission plus it has a 1st gear that really helps getting the load moving (one of the reasons it can tow a lot more).

At the end of the day you won’t really notice the trailer, but do realize that the max tow rating is nearly impossible to achieve. It requires only a driver in the truck and minimum tongue/pin weight. In the real world you will max out on something else first.

Does it have the auto-level suspension?

Evoking

Reaction score
I hadn’t realized a SO 3.73 or 4.10 DRW could tow less than a HO SRW. It’s doubtful you ever see enough of a mileage increase to justify intentionally not getting the HO, especially when you will be towing a heavy trailer. The Aisin shifts very smooth, and is a much tougher transmission plus it has a 1st gear that really helps getting the load moving (one of the reasons it can tow a lot more).

At the end of the day you won’t really notice the trailer, but do realize that the max tow rating is nearly impossible to achieve. It requires only a driver in the truck and minimum tongue/pin weight. In the real world you will max out on something else first.

Does it have the auto-level suspension?

It does not have auto-level suspension. From what I’ve seen it should be fine wit 5542 lb payload capacity with RV having only 3k pin weight. Do you think differently? I have thought about adding air out back to soften ride without load.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It does not have auto-level suspension. From what I’ve seen it should be fine wit 5542 lb payload capacity with RV having only 3k pin weight. Do you think differently? I have thought about adding air out back to soften ride without load.

I’m a big fan of airbags for ride quality and stability, so personally I’d run them.

That being said, you probably won’t require them.

Users who are viewing this thread