Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 questions

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Good day folks hope your all doing well, So it seems Ram may be low on sales! my dealer just called today to let me know they've passed on the no charge diesel from the 23s to 24s.... at least here in Canada, 9,750$ in savings. But i am sure its everyone. Long story short after going over some fuel numbers and mileage this tax season its fairly evident "while i absolutely love it" the 5500 is certainly not winning any MPG awards. Granted i knew this going in and i am not faulting the truck one bit! average seems to be about 10.5-11mpg, best case highway 13.5mpg. Based on my last 4 - 3500 duallies which were also welding rigs i was getting on average about 14mpg and 18-19mpg best case highway. Unfortunately Trudeau has turned Canada into a place where every dollar counts nowadays so there is merit moving back to a 3500 with 3.73s and out of heavy 19.5 rubber, iam also going to an all aluminium welding bed so that will help as well. Had my wife crunch the numbers and we'd be saving between 3500-4000$ a year in fuel. Its looking like the move into a similar equipped truck it'd be about 25$ bi weekly extra. As far as i know my 22 and the 24 would be almost identical except for the mirrors, and apparently the digital dash is now standard. What does aggravate me though is the amount of limitations on the Laramie! i cant get the 12" screen, parking sensors etc. BUT! conveniently enough if i go to a limited i can.... go figure. I am not sure i can justify the limited though. One question i did have! the dealer cant seem to find the TPMS option anywhere...... i thought this was standard/mandated on 1 tons and down? I had it on my 2019 denali dually anyway. Do any of you dually owners have it? For me its a pretty big want i sure missed it on my 5500. I have to say the thought of a new truck always excites me.... but i will admit this 5500 to date has been my most favorite truck for sure. Although, the thought of a smoother ride and fuel savings is quite attractive.

flan

Reaction score
I believe the duallies have TPIS vs TPMS. TPIS will let you see the tire pressures but won’t alarm if below a certain PSI.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
All 3500’s have TPIS, only 2500 and down has TPMS.

The digital cluster is an option on the Laramie.

The 12” screen and front/rear park sensors are apart of both Laramie level 1 and B packages.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Excellent good to know! thankyou on the information for the tire sensors. So went down and the numbers are fantastic with the no charge diesel right now. BUT the stupid cab and chassis are upto 12 months away! Dealers still waiting on C&C that were ordered in july to get a build date. However they can still get a typical truck with box in regular build times. I severely dont want a box but i can store it i guess. I suppose there may be some positives to going to a regular truck..... the non de-tuned engine, and i can imagine the ride is better than a straight frame. It looks like a 50 gal tank is also an option.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you looking at a 3500 P/U or C&C?

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
it was my origional plan to go from my 5500 down to a 3500 cab and chassis just for the ease of bed install and not having to deal with storing a bed. But today at the dealer after we did a build out and the dealer principal came in he mentioned that C&C could be upto 12 months away which is just nuts and not worth waiting for. So now i am getting them to quote a typical 24 laramie DRW with a box, its not ideal but at the end of the day not a ton more work really, just need to store the bed.

not sure how much truth is in it, but chatting with a couple other guys on site today, theres a crew of 8 of us welders here doing a new acid system. Few guys had 3500 C&C 19 rams that went back to a Pickup 3500 drw and said the MPG was actually better with the non-detuned engine. Likely not much but who knows! Need some numbers back from the dealer, but its still looking like ill be 50$ or more less per month going to the 24...... gotta love no charge diesel. Ive hit this deal a few times over the years and its certainly been worth it. By the next truck after this 24 i should have almost no payment.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the C&C doesn't come with the TPMS wheel sensors installed. Seem to recall a thread (@gprguy build thread?) but was able to install them and they worked.

gprguy

Reaction score
That’s correct and I was able to add them easily on my 2022. Just had to install the sensors and then use AlfaOBD.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the C&C doesn't come with the TPMS wheel sensors installed. Seem to recall a thread (@gprguy build thread?) but was able to install them and they worked.

I know they haven’t been in a 4500/5500, I just want sure about 3500.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Well as life goes i guess… all good news and numbers all made sense to move on a truck. We make the final build on paper together, and my buddy goes in to the managers office to confirm everything and they both come back and immediately apologize…… minimum 12 months to get a standard dually built and 15-17 months for a chassis cab. Their ram rep was in the office yesterday morning sharing said lovely info. So as much as id love to move iam just not waiting over a year for a truck. Another buddy owns a GM dealership and hes trying to convince me to get into a loaded 24 ltz dually so i suppose ill atleast take one for a drive. It is nice they can be ordered with a box delete.

But man is it ever frustrating trying to by rams right now…. Had to settle on a build without options that i wanted due to restrictions… finally build somthing i can be happy with and boom 12+ months wait time. Maybe its a blessing in disguise wait till 2025 maybe

CdnHO

Reaction score
I believe the duallies have TPIS vs TPMS. TPIS will let you see the tire pressures but won’t alarm if below a certain PSI.
Easy to convert the duallies to TPMS with JScan and set the alarm pressure as well.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Something seems off about those build times. I was at my dealer a couple weeks ago and they said they were almost back to pre-Covid order times and nowhere near the 8 months I waited in 2022.

Is Canada different in that regard?

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Something seems off about those build times. I was at my dealer a couple weeks ago and they said they were almost back to pre-Covid order times and nowhere near the 8 months I waited in 2022.

Is Canada different in that regard?
Iam not too sure if there is a difference or not? I did contact a couple dealers and they sorta chuckled when i asked about ordering a C&C. They. Mentioned similar stories having some 35/5500s ordered last july and still dont have a build date. But i do find that odd as i ordred june 6th and had mine first week of november. I suppose there has to be some truth to it, as it prevented a sale from happening. 12 months for a typical dually seems a bit ridiculious though

Users who are viewing this thread