Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW 4 x 4 Crew Cab Springs and Derated Cummins

Borepro

Reaction score
I purchased a new 2023 Ram 3500 Cab and Chassis and had a utility body installed. Just driving down the road with nothing in the utility body, the rear tires rub the underside of the utility body fenderwell. Two Ram dealers have verified that the 6 leaf spring pack is correct. The body manufacturer doesn't want to admit they are wrong. It appears that nobody offers airbags for this model year RAM. The body manufacture's solution is to install Timbren bumper stops. What is the right answer?

Also, I had no idea that RAM derates the horse power on the cab chassis models. It is a absolute dog from 0 - 30 mph. Would a accelerator control module help and not void the warrenty?

gprguy

Reaction score
Unless you want to move up to an air ride setup which will be big bucks, I think your two best bets are to find a shop that can make an airbag kit work (it wouldn't be that hard for the average 4x4 shop that is used to fabricating things and not just doing straight bolt ons) or to talk to a company like Alcan spring that could make you a custom leaf pack for the weight you are carrying.

Have you run the truck across some scales to see what your rear axle weight is at? Sounds like it could be high, and if you only have 6 leafs I am thinking you probably don't have a dually.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you return the utility body and get a different model that’s more compatible?

The motor isn’t derated, it’s a different motor than the pickups. Many similarities, but also many differences. A little bit of research before the purchase would have shown you the difference in ratings.

whitexc

Reaction score
Check with Timber Grove and see if he has air bags for that truck. I bet he does. Great people to work with.

Back to the utility body. Who made it? Sounds like they fugged up and you need to talk to the right person there. This is all brand new stuff. It should work.

Sent from me

Borepro

Reaction score
Unless you want to move up to an air ride setup which will be big bucks, I think your two best bets are to find a shop that can make an airbag kit work (it wouldn't be that hard for the average 4x4 shop that is used to fabricating things and not just doing straight bolt ons) or to talk to a company like Alcan spring that could make you a custom leaf pack for the weight you are carrying.

Have you run the truck across some scales to see what your rear axle weight is at? Sounds like it could be high, and if you only have 6 leafs I am thinking you probably don't have a dually.

Thanks for the information.

Borepro

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.
It is a single wheel 3500. I have not run it across the scales. It is an aluminum service body that can't weigh much. I bottom out just driving down the road hitting bumps. We did put a tank in the back and filled it with 300 gallons of water. I had 1 1/4" clearence between the top of the tire and the fender well. There was still 1 3/4" of spring left. That tells me there is a box issue for sure.

Borepro

Reaction score
Check with Timber Grove and see if he has air bags for that truck. I bet he does. Great people to work with.

Back to the utility body. Who made it? Sounds like they fugged up and you need to talk to the right person there. This is all brand new stuff. It should work.

Sent from me
Thank you whitexc. I agree it should all work. I want to see if the body manufacturer makes it right before I name them. How they handle this will mater how I talk about them.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Timbrens might solve your problem in that they would reduce the axle travel with a specific load. They would also be relatively cheap compared to air bags, and they are bullet proof. Also is there any way to raise the utility bed on the frame by an inch or so? Good luck

Borepro

Reaction score
Can you return the utility body and get a different model that’s more compatible?

The motor isn’t derated, it’s a different motor than the pickups. Many similarities, but also many differences. A little bit of research before the purchase would have shown you the difference in ratings.
We shall see. I am not a gear head and all I have to go on is past experience. I have purchased 12 or so new Ram trucks down through the years with the 6.7 Cummins. This is the first dog that I have had. You have two choices with Ram, the 6.7 or the 6.7 turbo. I have always gone with the 6.7. A Ram dealership told me the engine was derated by 25 horse power as they think a cab chassis will have mutiple drivers, which are not owners, and they want to save the transmission. All I know is what I was told. In my simple mind, a 6.7 is a 6.7.

Borepro

Reaction score

Thank you gprguy. I will check them out.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
We shall see. I am not a gear head and all I have to go on is past experience. I have purchased 12 or so new Ram trucks down through the years with the 6.7 Cummins. This is the first dog that I have had. You have two choices with Ram, the 6.7 or the 6.7 turbo. I have always gone with the 6.7. A Ram dealership told me the engine was derated by 25 horse power as they think a cab chassis will have mutiple drivers, which are not owners, and they want to save the transmission. All I know is what I was told. In my simple mind, a 6.7 is a 6.7.

All the 6.7’s are turbo’s.

There are currently 3 versions of the 6.7, the SO, HO, and C&C motor. Programming is just one variant between the 3, there are also physical component differences.

Darkone

Reaction score
The cab and chassis trucks should be SO but with the Aisin transmission. Unless it’s a gas truck with the 6.4

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The cab and chassis trucks should be SO but with the Aisin transmission. Unless it’s a gas truck with the 6.4

More similarities between the SO and C&C, but they are still different.

Users who are viewing this thread