Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Valve Cover Gasket Leak

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
2022 3500 HO
During my most recent oil and filter change, I noticed a small amount of what appeared to be dried coolant on the bottom of the bell housing. Upon further investigation I found the coolant to be coming from a plug on the back of the cylinder head. While tracking that leak, I also found traces of engine oil in and around the same area as the cool leak. I was able to get my phone up into the location from under the truck in order to take a picture. Both oil and coolant were visibly leaking. Since the truck is still under warranty I called and scheduled an appointment for this past Tuesday with my local dealer. I delivered the truck first thing in the morning and they called to update me within a few hours. They had confirmed the coolant leak from the plug on the back of the cylinder head, and found that the engine oil leak was coming from the valve cover / injector harness gasket. They informed me that they would order the parts to fix both issues at the same time, and that I could pick up the truck and run it until the parts arrived. While at the dealership, I spoke with both the tech and the service advisor regarding the oil leak. They mentioned that ram engineering was instructing them to change both the valve cover / injector harness gasket as well as the rocker box and gasket as they had recently experienced a number of these failing. So much so that they were told to return the rocker box and all gaskets back to engineering via expedited shipping for immediate inspection. I didn’t get to review any documentation regarding the failure but I do trust that what they were telling me was legitimate. Just a heads up if you have a 2022: if you find yourself under the truck, or if you notice a visible oil leak, you may want to check the rear of the cylinder head and see if oil is passing through the gaskets back there. 93F5F7A9-9539-47D9-BA82-140101A7F4CA.jpeg33108362-CA31-4B8D-8B27-385B9CAC46F6.jpeg

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Interesting. How many miles on your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. How many miles on your truck?

24,808 as of this moment.

I had not heard of any failures in the area of the rocker box / valve cover so this was new news to me. I had no reason not to believe what they were telling me.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I still have to look at my tranny, so I’ll be crawling under mine this weekend for sure. I’ll keep an eye on these areas. I only have 6200 on mine yet, had the dealer do the first free change at 5000 miles. I’ll be changing it again when fuel filters are due and then follow regular intervals. I’ll just add this to the check list…

Users who are viewing this thread