Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Synthetic Oil 10W-30

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Interesting!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Not that I believe the info in that bulletin, does not make sense to me but I do not need to understand everything. I wish I could argue with the people who created that bulletin. Its probably based on some random 15W40 low quality oil.......who knows. Or some people who do not do oil changes..... or a combination of both.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, I did just see an announcement that Shell has a new T6 formula 10W-30 full synthetic.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Not that I believe the info in that bulletin, does not make sense to me but I do not need to understand everything. I wish I could argue with the people who created that bulletin. Its probably based on some random 15W40 low quality oil.......who knows. Or some people who do not do oil changes..... or a combination of both.

It's based on Cummins' recommendation and certainly failure and wear diagnosis. So less hyperbole and more science.

Cummins and RAM say to only use 5W-40 full synthetic or 10W-30 CK4.

flan

Reaction score
Interesting!!!
Thanks for sharing.
You should run some high quality 15/40 to prove them wrong.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Agree with the comments on running the 5W-40 synthetic in colder climates and if you actually work your truck, not mall crawlers. I have some on the ready. However..... I'm running the 10W-30 for a while until the engine is broken in. I know Cummins says it doesn't require break in but when you watch your fuel mileage slowly increasing from new up to XX,XXX miles, that means it's breaking in. I made the mistake of running synthetic in a new diesel a few years ago and never could get any mileage out of it. Won't do that again.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Agree with the comments on running the 5W-40 synthetic in colder climates and if you actually work your truck, not mall crawlers. I have some on the ready. However..... I'm running the 10W-30 for a while until the engine is broken in. I know Cummins says it doesn't require break in but when you watch your fuel mileage slowly increasing from new up to XX,XXX miles, that means it's breaking in. I made the mistake of running synthetic in a new diesel a few years ago and never could get any mileage out of it. Won't do that again.
Any more detail on that? How is the synthetic different to non synthetic that gas mileage ends up different?
Typically synthetic oils are made from natural gas and put together molecule chains with little to no errors. The non synthetic oil's molecular chains have errors where oxygen atoms can connect easier at high temperatures. That is why synth oils are able to last longer at higher temps.
Are you thinking that the additive package in synthetic oils are different and have more low friction modifier in them? That caused the engine not to break in as quickly? At least that is a theory I heard in the past. Not sure if that is true.
But it could have many reasons why a vehicle has not the same MPG as another one of the same build. Reducing it to the wrong oil at break in sounds like quiet an interesting hypothesis.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
You should run some high quality 15/40 to prove them wrong.
Yes I would totally do that if I were living a little further south.

I always try to proof these rumors or opinions wrong.
As an example:
- For the Cummins I mix and match my engine oil and put a mix of Rotella 5W-40 with 1 Gallon of Valvoline 0W20+ 1/2 bottle Red line ZDDP break in additive.
- I have never put motorcycle oils into any of my motorcycles since the last 25 years. Always decent automotive oils 15W40 or similar.
Further on:
- I have never made an oil change at the "recommended" 3,000 miles with any of my cars or motorcycles. Some of my change intervals are up to 10-15k miles because I limit them to 1x per year.
- My coworkers idle their Diesel trucks for 5 minutes before they drive home in the winter. I start my Cummins and within 3 seconds put her in D and drive away.
- I have never put any Diesel fuel additive in the tank and my truck still drives.
- Never have I broken in an engine with certain driving styles. I operate engines same with 5 miles or 100k miles on them. Even my racecar engine got 7,000rpm right away.

I hope I did not upset people reading that. You continue doing as you wish.........

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Any more detail on that?
Are you thinking that the additive package in synthetic oils are different and have more low friction modifier in them? That caused the engine not to break in as quickly?

Bingo. There's different schools of thought on this subject but I figure, what the hell? It can't hurt to run a conv oil for a few thousand miles. These engine blocks are so hard anymore, the rings can use all the help they can get in seating. Of course, that's just my opinion, and the opinion of a few others actually. I've had good luck with it anyway.

I actually ran a Duramax a ton of miles on nothing but T4 and had great results. If I lived further north than Kansas or ran up north a lot, I probably would have ran T6.

Users who are viewing this thread