Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 4500 Transmission Issue

Gtechtree

Reaction score
Hey there,
I’m new. I signed up for this forum primarily to see if anyone knows how many of these 22 and up Rams have the same transmission issues that I am having.
22 Ram 4500 Laramie. First transmission detonation at approx 8k miles. It took nearly 3 months for Ram to fix it. This weekend the 2nd transmission detonatation occured at approx 13,000 miles. Towed and stranded both times. Each time a tow truck and a 2nd truck to come get the gooseneck attached to it were involvedZ
Ramcare seems like they could care less. No offer of any assistance not even rental and no information provided by Ram.
I know that countless Aisins on the newer trucks all have the same issue.
Is there no group effort out there to insist that Ram address this issue mass scale and compensate owners for this clear and known issue? If there is I am unable to find it.

flan

Reaction score
There has been a customer satisfaction notice for affected rams. Check the ram recall page to see if your vehicle is affected.

Gtechtree

Reaction score
Yes, there is some kind of recall.
Yes mine was a recall but that doesnt help much when the truck is down for 3 months at a time due to backordered parts because of a defective transmission. I guess Im asking if anyone is beginning a class action suit or collective complaint and request for compensation.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Repair time really varies by dealers these days. Some take days, and some take months.

Not too many repeat failures after Ram figured out what the problem was.

@mbarber84 may know of any talk of a class action lawsuit, but I haven’t heard of one personally.

Gtechtree

Reaction score
Repair time really varies by dealers these days. Some take days, and some take months.

@mbarber84 may know of any talk of a class action lawsuit, but I haven’t heard of one personally.
A few days would make it no big deal. That would be great. Never seen that kind of turn around here locally in N Georgia with any brand.

Gtechtree

Reaction score

For me transmission failure #1 was 3 months and they probably didn’t do something right causing trans failure #2 if I had to guess. I can’t imagine I got 2 faulty snap rings.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For excessive failures and downtime, there was a higher level contact that was helping at one time but I don't have the contact info.

It's in one of the threads somewhere or perhaps @mbarber84 recalls who that is.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
For me transmission failure #1 was 3 months and they probably didn’t do something right causing trans failure #2 if I had to guess. I can’t imagine I got 2 faulty snap rings.

@mbarber84 has documented several people who got 2 faulty snap ring transmissions when the entire transmission was replaced with another bad unit.

Did they repair or replace the transmission the first time?

Gtechtree

Reaction score
@mbarber84 has documented several people who got 2 faulty snap ring transmissions when the entire transmission was replaced with another bad unit.

Did they repair or replace the transmission the first time?
They rebuilt the transmission. They claimed they had to replace the lower gears and the snap ring and a few other parts. I don’t know more detail than that. They are stating they will have to or are going to opt to replace the transmission this time with a complete unit.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
They rebuilt the transmission. They claimed they had to replace the lower gears and the snap ring and a few other parts. I don’t know more detail than that. They are stating they will have to or are going to opt to replace the transmission this time with a complete unit.
Tons of info here:

As for a class action, lots of rumbling but nothing ever materialized. There was supposedly a higher up Stellantis figure who was intervening in some situations but that name (and contact info) escapes me at the moment. It might be contained within one of the pages of the thread I posted above.

Reoccurring failures after a K1 repair process are pretty common, especially considering the varying degrees of ability from dealer to dealer, tech to tech. Their TSB process is also lackluster. It doesn’t include all of the steps that should be performed when diagnosing and repairing a failure of this type. It only includes the most necessary (and fastest) pathway to tearing down, diagnosing, and repairing. For instance: the TSB doesn’t even tell the tech to drop the pan and inspect for debris. Also doesn’t include any sort of fluid flush, etc. When you look at my tracking sheet, I noted anytime a reoccurring failure happened on a specific truck. They’re highlighted in orange. There were a few trucks that suffered 3 consecutive failures.

Gtechtree

Reaction score
Tons of info here:

As for a class action, lots of rumbling but nothing ever materialized. There was supposedly a higher up Stellantis figure who was intervening in some situations but that name (and contact info) escapes me at the moment. It might be contained within one of the pages of the thread I posted above.

Reoccurring failures after a K1 repair process are pretty common, especially considering the varying degrees of ability from dealer to dealer, tech to tech. Their TSB process is also lackluster. It doesn’t include all of the steps that should be performed when diagnosing and repairing a failure of this type. It only includes the most necessary (and fastest) pathway to tearing down, diagnosing, and repairing. For instance: the TSB doesn’t even tell the tech to drop the pan and inspect for debris. Also doesn’t include any sort of fluid flush, etc. When you look at my tracking sheet, I noted anytime a reoccurring failure happened on a specific truck. They’re highlighted in orange. There were a few trucks that suffered 3 consecutive failures.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread