Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 ECM Problems

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Well I had to leave the 2022 at the dealership this afternoon with only 1900 miles on it.

I was accelerating to get onto the freeway and the truck decelerated noticeably, hard enough to jerk me forward. Dash cluster said “service fuel filter” and RPMs shot up and stayed around 2000-2500. Truck would then get to speed and maintain but kept RPMs high. Made it to the dealer and the fuel filter code was not there, but had several ECM/PCM/TCM codes. Any of you guys seen anything like this? Hoping it’s not what I think it is.
b0bb5390a0746f4c2d38aeebae491264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darmichar

Reaction score
With that many codes at once I'd put money on a CAN data link issue or a poor connection somewhere.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
As I posted in the other thread,

Push in all the fuses.

I legitimately, and embarrassingly, didn’t even think of that. I was thinking it would be something like chasing down some phantom loose connection or wiring until I inevitably lose my mind. I’ll swing by the dealership tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Called the dealership this morning and asked them to check the fuses. Every single fuse needed to be pushed in. They fired it up and drove it for about 30 miles with no issues. After that call I went out and checked my wife’s 2022 and low and behold, every single fuse apart from the big ones needed to be pushed in. @Brutal_HO saved the day.

I can get over being stranded or breaking down but I most certainly do not want my wife and daughter broke down.

flan

Reaction score
Been going on since the 5th gens have come out. How is this still a issue is beyond me.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Called the dealership this morning and asked them to check the fuses. Every single fuse needed to be pushed in. They fired it up and drove it for about 30 miles with no issues. After that call I went out and checked my wife’s 2022 and low and behold, every single fuse apart from the big ones needed to be pushed in. @Brutal_HO saved the day.

I can get over being stranded or breaking down but I most certainly do not want my wife and daughter broke down.

Let's hope that's all it was.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Had the "fuses not pushed in all the way" problem with 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees (2011, 2014, 2019) and my 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie. I cannot understand why something as simple as inserting a fuse cannot be done correctly on the assembly line.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
That’s wild. I hadn’t seen anything about it until last night. I never checked my 2020 but it makes me question if that may have been part of the reason that truck went through 3 DEF pumps in 3k miles.

Seems absurd to me that something so simple and obvious would be overlooked so rampantly.

Riddick

Reaction score
I hope this fixes your issue but I have a feeling your codes are going to come back. Almost every truck has the fuses not seated all the way, you rarely hear of this being the cause of any issues.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
all the 5th gens I'm close to had loose teeth. it's astonishing.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I hope this fixes your issue but I have a feeling your codes are going to come back. Almost every truck has the fuses not seated all the way, you rarely hear of this being the cause of any issues.
Now that would be quite an anomaly if all the codes reappeared after this clearly fixed the issue

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Well I put a little over 250 miles on the truck over the weekend without any problems. The only issue I had was that the loss of communication with the TCM forced a relearn so it shifted like crap right after I picked it up but lined itself out fairly quickly.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like an electrical issue with the codes present. Hopefully the loose fuses were the cure!

leeparnell89

Reaction score
Let's hope that's all it was.
So my cousin's 2019 grenaded a CP4 and is sitting in limbo waiting for a CP3 and new fuel system so he borrowed my truck to haul a tractor and baler about 600 miles. He made it about 500 of those miles before the truck lost all power at speed on I-20. Everything died but the radio and it said something along the lines of "speed control limited" and something about the trans. It then popped up a warning about "Do not turn off, as truck will not register in park" or something along those lines and could not be shifted into park, the gear shifter was frozen. When the tow truck driver showed up he couldn't get it loaded because he couldn't get it into neutral. Not only that, but the @RamCares roadside assistance refused to take it anywhere other than the closest dealer, which is in NOWHERE west texas and only has 1 Chrysler tech that's booked over a month out. They will not even lay eyes on my truck for diagnosis in the mean time. Less than 10k miles on a 2022 1-ton pickup that I can't even use because it breaks down constantly and now it's stuck in West Texas unless I pay to have it towed here or find a way to get it back. Has anyone heard of this issue? Did I just **** a trans? Is there any way to escalate this with @RamCares to see how I'm supposed to get my broke down brand new pickup home?

Edited to add: This feels like an issue that could have been caused by the above issue with the fuses and ECM. I can't imagine shorting out the ECM/PCM/TCM enough to kill the truck wouldn't cause more damage down the line.

Edit 2: There apparently was also a warning about servicing throttle control.

techman

Reaction score
I just checked my fuses and 98% were not pushed in all the way! I'm assuming pushing all the way mean fully seated. It took a bit of force but just about every one and every type pushed in a certain amount.

Last edited:

leeparnell89

Reaction score
I just checked my fuses and 98% were not pushed in all the way! I'm assuming pushing all the way mean fully seated. It took a bit of force but just about everyone and every type pushed in a certain amount.
Yeah when I checked my wife's after the issue with mine they were all the same way. Making contact but barely in there and needed to be pushed in. The dealership mine was at said mine were the same way.

leeparnell89

Reaction score
After a debacle that took entirely too long, much money out of pocket shuffling vehicles, trailers, and farm equipment around, and 2 people taking time off of work we got my truck home and to a dealership that was able to look at it within a couple days. Dealer had to open a special case with Chrysler but diagnosis ended up being the PCM. My VIN is not on the recent ECM/PCM recall list, weirdly enough. At this time there is "no ETA" assigned to when my new PCM will arrive but there are 140 some-odd in a warehouse somewhere in Michigan and my dealer's techs say that they typically take a week to ship and another week to arrive, so we shall see. At this point as soon as it comes out of the shop it's being traded on a new suburban for momma and the kid and I'll drive her 3/4 ton til my 23 ford 1 ton order shows up in a year or so, at this point who knows. I'm just tired of not being able to depend on my truck. They all have their issues. My last two rams have spent as much time in the dealer's parking lot as they have my driveway so it's time to move on and try my luck elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread