Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram warmup

Cutfixer

Reaction score
So I understand about cold weather warmup and the length of time it takes to warm up. This truck has me thinking there is something different in the warm up technology from the 2017 Ram I had. On mornings where it’s about 53* it can still take about 5 minutes to warm up. If I run out to my truck now with the temp reading 85* it‘ll take a few minutes to warmup. If I start to drive it sounds and feels like I’m stuck in first gear until the engine ie ready to shift into normal speed. Am I missing something? On really cold mornings the rpms will kick in and do it’s thing. Is this something I should have looked at or is the norm for my 2021. She still has under 6k miles on the ticker. Thanks for reading.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What do you mean “warm up” do you mean for the temp gauge to hit the normal range or are you referring to high idle? and what engine/ trans

Cutfixer

Reaction score
I mean warm up in the morning and going to work. If I don’t let it warm up long enough it will feel like I’m in first gear(if you had a manual) when I go to drive. After a bit it reaches I guess operating temp and the engine smooths out and no issue. Does the engine need a certain temp before it gets warmed up?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I mean warm up in the morning and going to work. If I don’t let it warm up long enough it will feel like I’m in first gear(if you had a manual) when I go to drive. After a bit it reaches I guess operating temp and the engine smooths out and no issue. Does the engine need a certain temp before it gets warmed up?
What engine/ trans?

My SO cummins/ 68rfe i can jump in and take off no issues at -40° so i cant see why you would be having an issue at 53°

twinjayhawks

Reaction score
Mine does this also at any outside temp (Diesel 6.7). It feels like it does not want to go out of first gear and the engine roars. But, when I get on the road and accelerate, it goes away and shifts out fine.

I had a Mercedes Sprinter van (Diesel) that would do the same thing. It was trying to get the engine up to temp as fast as possible. I figured the truck is doing the same thing???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cutfixer

Reaction score
Mine does this also at any outside temp. It feels like it does not want to go out of first gear and the fan roars. But, when I get on the road and accelerate, it goes away and shifts out fine.

I had a Mercedes Sprinter van that would do the same thing. It was trying to get the engine up to temp as fast as possible. I figured the truck is doing the same thing???

Cutfixer

Reaction score
Yup. That’s what mine does. Is there a certain temp that the engine or the oil be at a certain pressure before it smooths out and doesn’t sound like I’m in first gear? The fan really kicks in if I take off before it warmsup.

DammitDave

Reaction score
My guess is from what I see in OverTheRoadTractors because of EPA requirements they are trying to heat the engine up as quick as possible, so they will turn the engine fan for more drag/load on the engine and run out every gear to a higher RPM to get the engine heated up quick as possible for a cleaner burn of fuel.

Will_T

Reaction score
What engine/ trans?

My SO cummins/ 68rfe i can jump in and take off no issues at -40° so i cant see why you would be having an issue at 53°
Not sure what engine/trans the OP has so if it is the HO/Aisin then maybe different. But my 68rfe acts like yours although about 10 degrees F. above zero is about the coldest I have had it. I do notice the preheat varies a lot but once I start off it is normal and smooth no matter the temp. Another factor for mine might be that we have a longish stone driveway with turns so when I do start out, almost all the time the first couple of minutes would be in 1st gear anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread