Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Power Wagon Rear Axle Noises

Megalodon

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

Anyone else having a "singing" noise that sounds like it is coming from the rear diff? Mine starts around 50 mph, most notable at 55 then is not as noticeable after 60. This is all under power. It is loudest at 55 when pulling a hill, however if you ease off the accelerator it goes away.

Last year took it in to the dealership, the Techs heard the sound and diagnosed bad pinion bearings, dark fluid and metal in it. They replaced the pinion bearings, but when I got the truck back, the sound was even worse and made the noise even when decelerating. Took the truck back, and three and a half months later I got the truck back after they completely rebuilt the rear axle assembly. At first I didn't hear it, but after a bit the sound was back, under 300 miles.

The truck was parked from November to February, then I noticed a oil leak on the pinion. Shop said they couldn't hear the sound but are replacing the pinion seal.

15,500 miles, 35 KO2s Have checked the alignment and have had them rotated with every oil change.

Thanks

jetrinka

Reaction score
Mine has had a bit of gear whine on the acceleration side of things for quite some time. Fluid changed at 500 miles and again at 30k. Looked normal at 30k and checked it at 40k and its still nice and clear yellow. I just ignore it.

Wobly

Reaction score
Here is a good description of how you can get (and alleviate) the howling noise. It will take a shop to adjust the gears correctly. The video should start about 11:30.

Users who are viewing this thread