Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Aisin beginning to FAIL at 55,000 miles! ** HOT 150HP TUNE **

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just curious, what is a 150hp tune even needed for? Doesn’t the truck have plenty of power to handle 15k load at stock?
My thought exactly… most people who use tunes like that towing are a danger to themselves and others. Noo need to be racing with a trailer on plus stock has plenty of power to pull

Reaction score
Disabled the Hill Assist feature and drove 40 miles in & out of tow/haul without a load, driving was much better with zero flare between shifts.

I used the 150hp setting because it offers the best MPGs by a large margin. As I said, throttle response and tip-in for cruise is much improved. There is ZERO difference in the 50/100hp settings other than the torque limit which I rarely ever exceed in my driving style to begin with regardless of the limits. Still in the 150hp setting it did not flare once after 40 miles of driving. Issue addressed.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
For your use type and your experience with Ram trucks w/68RFE.. I am surprised you went the route of Aisin. The 68RFE now has a new valve body and the truck does not feel hindered at all with it versus the Aisin where in my experience, you could not drive without having thoughts about what the transmission is doing or how it is not in the right gear for when you need to pass someone in a bind. I was all about the Aisin until I did more research and test drove. It is very clear the Aisin is a tow pig meant for stock power/factory tuning. IMO if you are looking for a daily driver that is so smooth and figured out that you do not even think about it while driving.. or if you are planning on doing performance mods over stock horsepower, the 68RFE is by far and away the better tool for the job.

I know that when and if my 68RFE takes me past 250,000km's with the proper maintenance but severe use case it gets under my foot, I will not be looking for switch to a different transmission if I have a choice. I know it is too late and you are looking for advice on what to do or tuning for the Aisin, so if I were in your scenario (which I almost got myself into when ordering the truck), I would be dialing back the power even with the fuel economy loss while towing and or doing a manual ''re-learn'' and let the Aisin get some experience in that same situation from the start of the learn process.

Reaction score
For your use type and your experience with Ram trucks w/68RFE.. I am surprised you went the route of Aisin. The 68RFE now has a new valve body and the truck does not feel hindered at all with it versus the Aisin where in my experience, you could not drive without having thoughts about what the transmission is doing or how it is not in the right gear for when you need to pass someone in a bind. I was all about the Aisin until I did more research and test drove. It is very clear the Aisin is a tow pig meant for stock power/factory tuning. IMO if you are looking for a daily driver that is so smooth and figured out that you do not even think about it while driving.. or if you are planning on doing performance mods over stock horsepower, the 68RFE is by far and away the better tool for the job.

I know that when and if my 68RFE takes me past 250,000km's with the proper maintenance but severe use case it gets under my foot, I will not be looking for switch to a different transmission if I have a choice. I know it is too late and you are looking for advice on what to do or tuning for the Aisin, so if I were in your scenario (which I almost got myself into when ordering the truck), I would be dialing back the power even with the fuel economy loss while towing and or doing a manual ''re-learn'' and let the Aisin get some experience in that same situation from the start of the learn process.

For six years I was leasing trucks and never worried about the majority of the maintenance, tires or residual value due to miles. I just treated each truck as if it were my own and tricked them out since they were all long-term contracts. I never had issues with the 68RFE and the situation with regards to my 2021 3500 came about because I had a customer emphatically buy my month-old 2020 Laramie Longhorn 2500 at full sticker plus $10K to ship it to Hawaii. So within two months, I had to buy two trucks and Kernersville had only ONE option available and the 3500 Limited was the only MegaCab available. So, that is why I went with the Aisin and the 4.10 which I do not need as well. I have priced swapping the gears and at $4100 for front & rear, I think I might just buy a front & rear 3.73 axle sets from LKQ.

I never had any issues with a 68RFE transmission in six different trucks since 2015. My 2016 Laramie 2500 had 420K miles on it before I traded it on a 2018 Bighorn 2500 and it sold within 35 minutes at the dealer. I am well aware of the 68RFE valve body issues with the pistons galling and ATS has a perfect replacement with bushings for each bore. I wonder if that is what is in the new 2022 models.

I made a run from my shop in Florence, SC to Mooresville, NC tonight pulling an Aerovault trailer and my transmission shifted perfectly with the new fluid change and deep pan. Trans temps never exceeded 168 degrees, 3rd & 4th gear shifts were super crisp and not lagging in any way... must be the SO cam.

2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Stock: AirLift Wireless AirBags
waterlily-ram.jpeg

Reaction score
Holy smokes that’s a serious boat

I sure miss it... the triple Verado 350s were tuned to a 400+hp which would push this 38' Donzi to 77mph across any water you dared! With a fuel capacity of over 400 gallons, I could run from Miami to the Bahamas and back without buying dirty fuel in the tropics!

1996dram

Reaction score
As a strong proponent of free speech, I welcome your comments, even though my experience with auto transmissions has been quite different.... as well as almost everything I've read since I bought my 12 valve..... as with all things on the internet doing your own research is always best..... the Aisin in my Ram after a couple thousand miles shifts and tows great

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Driven 48re, 68rfe, G56, NV5600 and my current CTD HO Aisin with 3:73's. My ultimate favorite is the NV5600, but its no longer available, which makes my Aisin the best auto transmission I've driven since the NV5600. If you compared the 68rfe and Aisin side by side, you understand why you just don't see many Aisin failure threads. Adding power to the newest HO CTD is a waste of money to me. As far as MPG with tunes, you can tune with EFILive at the same stock HP, and get better fuel economy.

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
I sure miss it... the triple Verado 350s were tuned to a 400+hp which would push this 38' Donzi to 77mph across any water you dared! With a fuel capacity of over 400 gallons, I could run from Miami to the Bahamas and back without buying dirty fuel in the tropics!

The video gets pretty good at 29:30 and is great at 29:55!

Users who are viewing this thread