Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 3500 Hard to start and Exhaust System requires service message

JimE63

Reaction score
My 2021 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited Edition is suddenly hard to start and after starting the error message came up saying the exhaust system requires service. Any idea what might cause this? The dealership I bought it from can’t even get me in for another 5 days. Is this a regen issue or something more serious?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 2021 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited Edition is suddenly hard to start and after starting the error message came up saying the exhaust system requires service. Any idea what might cause this? The dealership I bought it from can’t even get me in for another 5 days. Is this a regen issue or something more serious?
Could be a few things but sounds like a clogged DPF

JimE63

Reaction score
Would this still be the case without A DPF warning light on the dash? I guess anything is possible in that regard but all I have the the check engine light on and the engine sounds real diesely, if that makes any sense.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds more like a fuel system issue. Injector or even possibly a failed/failing CP4 although they most often go catastrophic and no start.

JimE63

Reaction score
Sounds more like a fuel system issue. Injector or even possibly a failed/failing CP4 although they most often go catastrophic and no start.
This is where it gets really interesting. This afternoon when I went to move my truck to make it easier for the tow truck, it started right up and the check engine light is now off. It’s also running almost like normal.

Users who are viewing this thread