Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 2500 6.4 new issue

Redfour5

Reaction score
I noticed that on two separate occasions when my wife was driving my truck and i was riding shotgun after I had a few drinks. Both times it was at a slow speed and it bucked/surged a handful of times. It was like being in one too high a gear and letting out the clutch.

I chalked it up the truck/trans mapping being accustomed to my driving and she was probably lighter on the fuel and it upshifted funny or something. I’m not 100% sure if that’s what happened but I’ve not experienced it from the driver seat.

I also have 30k miles over the last 4 years ownership.
I was going to say it might be the "mapping" causing it as you noticed it with your wife driving AND in different terrain the "learning module" was unfamiliar with. But two weeks in different terrain? I'm not sure how long it takes to adapt but that seems longish...

william_beaux

Reaction score
Old thread, but also experiencing this in a 2022 6.4 with 4.10s, 7000 miles on the truck

I have felt it consistently since day one. Light throttle acceleration about 30mph - 3rd and 4th gear - while MDS is bypassed with gear selection. If you have ever driven a manual transmission, it feels similar to being in too high a gear at too low an RPM, but it's very subtle.

In the same gear range, I can frequently feel my torque converter unlocking when coming to stop, so I have attributed the stutter to that as well. I also read on this forum of a flash being released in early 2023, but I don't believe that has happened. I was at the dealer last week and no mention of an update when I inquired.

matemike

Reaction score
Dealers are not going to know. They were trying to get my cargo camera fixed and saying my truck was on latest radio software...swore up and down I needed a new radio. I asked on here and found out I was two software versions behind. I then looked at my service dept papers closer and saw that they were investigating a 2019-2021 truck. Mine is a '22. I updated my radio with help from UConnect and fixed it myself. The dealership still won't admit that they were not even looking at the right stuff. And I showed them the cargo camera was working now and they said it always was. Like I was lying to them. They still insisted I swap the radio. I said no thank you.

Got a call a couple weeks later saying my new radio was in...I read them the riot act for not listening to me.

I asked about a trans flash middle of last year and they said it already came out and that they flashed my truck...wtf? WHEN? They hadn't had my truck in there for a year. They said they did it over the air. again, wtf, I cannot express my discern. Clueless people working at the dealerships.

kevin588127

Reaction score
Old thread, but also experiencing this in a 2022 6.4 with 4.10s, 7000 miles on the truck

I have felt it consistently since day one. Light throttle acceleration about 30mph - 3rd and 4th gear - while MDS is bypassed with gear selection. If you have ever driven a manual transmission, it feels similar to being in too high a gear at too low an RPM, but it's very subtle.

In the same gear range, I can frequently feel my torque converter unlocking when coming to stop, so I have attributed the stutter to that as well. I also read on this forum of a flash being released in early 2023, but I don't believe that has happened. I was at the dealer last week and no mention of an update when I inquired.
Waiting patiently to hear about this as well. Mine is like yours and if I didn't know better, I'd think the trans was slipping because that's what it feels like when operated in that range. I won't even bother with the dealer until I know it's a thing. I had to hold their hand to get a PCM update on my wife's 2015 town and country. Same deal, a simple programming change solved it's weird shifting problems. I actually brought it in told them about an update. They called and said their was no update, I gave them the TSB number that I got from all data and then they could find it.

Mdim

Reaction score
Mine does this when I first start driving. 6.4 hemi with about 100k miles on it. First mile or so if I am light on the gas it kind of surges a bit. Goes away as the trans warms up. Assumed was just cold fluid or something but definitely not something I've experienced in other vehicles.

william_beaux

Reaction score
Anyone have an update on the firmware update, or if Ram has acknowledged an issue? The issue has become much more noticeable - approaching the time to take it to dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread